ob for life

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
2 of the last 3 speakers ive used were ob.

Crap drivers in crap baffles.

But such a relaxed sound and i loved them.

Even compared to a pair of dm302 and energy boxes.

I dont think ill ever build a box again.

Currently using a fullrange 3" on the winged baffles i posted in fullrange system pics.

Im so happy!

Good to hear you like you speakers Etocynned :)
I can honestly say I've never listened to an OB, but have heard a few 'boffle' speakers that sounded good.
I dont think my GF would go for OB's in the lounge as they would spoil the view from the lounge window.
I'm on a 'dual concentric' trip at the moment (4" KEF's still need boxing, currently listening to Tannoy 609's)

Currently in a simple is better phase.

Cant do the eq/xover thing to make the synergy horn work.

Perhaps when things turn around.

Im just awed by these ob speakers though.

I am reminded of the sound of Martin Logan speakers with them, the openness, even though i can tell the fidelity isnt there.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I hear you about simplicity. In my slot loaded OB (SLOB) setup I lucked out with the built in XO in a Breeze Audio 2.1 TPA3116D2 amp matching perfectly to give me this:

429053d1405682518-cheap-fast-ob-literally-slob-response-5mr450-ndy-fast-1m-meas.png

Note that there was *NO* EQ of any sort used - only level matching done with sub and tops volume knobs.

The natural fall off from the 5in OB top just perfectly matched the sub amp falloff combined with the a slot loaded open baffle response of the woofers to produce perhaps one of the most natural sounding and dynamic speakers I have built. The 5MR450NDY driver is an awesome OB driver if you are high passing above 300Hz.

428955d1405605701-prv-5mr450-ndy-fast-applications-5mr450ndy-fast-furious-photo-1.png

More info here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/259293-prv-5mr450-ndy-fast-applications-2.html#post3995448

Check out the sound clips.

Last edited:
I finally took the time to do simulations in EDGE for a proper baffle to mount my Alpair 7.3's.. Not so simple a system with MiniDSP and 15" DLFA's In H-frames but the new baffle just took it from pretty good to awesome.

Had to remove most of the eq I had on the 7.3 except the low shelf and a few dB lift in the top end.

First time In years I finally really look forward to listening to music every day!

My original baffle with the driver mounted in the middle had 15db simmed fr variance. The new one Simms with only 2.5db. Took me 2 hours to go from good to awesome.

Happy days!

Attachments

• IMG_20140711_162511~01~01.jpg
    IMG_20140711_162511~01~01.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 321
>>> Currently in a simple is better phase.

Me too and I see no reason to change.

After years of building I prefer OB to the others but the others have merit. If I have the space I start thinking open baffle. Fortunately, I have the space in my new living room. The sound is glorious. It's similar to Thunk's setup above (I swap out different baffles/drivers and sit them on top of the H-frame). My bedroom is smaller so rather than going OB I'm going to experiment with some sealed and ported ideas. Should be fun and keep me into the music. Nothing out there says you always have to have the best sound possible. Enjoyable works too and keeps our hobby fresh.

Zilla

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Me too

I finally took the time to do simulations in EDGE for a proper baffle to mount my Alpair 7.3's.. Not so simple a system with MiniDSP and 15" DLFA's In H-frames but the new baffle just took it from pretty good to awesome.

Had to remove most of the eq I had on the 7.3 except the low shelf and a few dB lift in the top end.

First time In years I finally really look forward to listening to music every day!

My original baffle with the driver mounted in the middle had 15db simmed fr variance. The new one Simms with only 2.5db. Took me 2 hours to go from good to awesome.

Happy days!

Hello,

I built the MJKing open baffle units using the Jordan speakers and the 18-inch H-Frames. Just the stock setup. Sounds great with a pair of 6A3 class A2 monoblocks that I also put together using ElectraPrint design and iron.

I have yet to mount my W8-1808's in baffles so I can experiment with a low power tube setup I'm working on. People say the 1808's are pretty good. HeyBill

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.