help please! F.A.S.T. for Audio Nirvana Super 6.5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th August 2014, 12:48 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default help please! F.A.S.T. for Audio Nirvana Super 6.5

are there plans out there for a F.A.S.T. setup for AN Super 6.5s? preferably similar in form and simplicity to the Tysen or Stella since i have a small listening space. also considering integrating a simple sealed box with woofT enclosures since i have 4 4inch woofers on hand. would that work? any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Old 27th August 2014, 02:06 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

What Audio Nirvana?
There's a variety of Audio Nirvana Super 6.5 (5 different models.)
'Super 6.5 Alnico' - 88dB
'Super 6.5 Neodymium'
'Classic 6.5'
'Super 6.5 Cast Frame' - 94dB
'Super 6.5 Steel Frame'
Why don't you give a look at the issue with woofer/sub (similar FR) here and detail your project better.
JBL Apollo-like...?
Old 27th August 2014, 05:53 PM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Unlikely you'll find an already done FAST with the AN, but like any FAST there is a general procedure.

Things you need to consider:
Speaker or line level XO? (LL leaves many more options and flexibility)
How low will the AN go in a sealed or midTL box?

Then you find some (avaialble) midbass driver(s) that go low enuff (high eniff is usually not an issue), in an appropriate size box.

If passive XO,the sensitivity of the woofers should be 3-6 dB more than the AN.

Then you start doing an XO.

dave
Old 28th August 2014, 12:52 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inductor View Post
What Audio Nirvana?
There's a variety of Audio Nirvana Super 6.5 (5 different models.)
'Super 6.5 Alnico' - 88dB
'Super 6.5 Neodymium'
'Classic 6.5'
'Super 6.5 Cast Frame' - 94dB
'Super 6.5 Steel Frame'
Why don't you give a look at the issue with woofer/sub (similar FR) here and detail your project better.
JBL Apollo-like...?
i have the Super 6.5 Steel Frame (cheapest among the lot). thanks for the link! i'll read through it and (hopefully) get a deeper understanding.
Old 28th August 2014, 01:49 AM   #5
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

I used qnty 6 x 6.5 inch woofers from PE (clearance items at $5 ea) in a slot loaded open baffle and really liked the sound. Same Sd as a 15 in woofer. More info here:
Cheap and FAST OB, Literally
Old 28th August 2014, 01:56 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Unlikely you'll find an already done FAST with the AN, but like any FAST there is a general procedure.

Things you need to consider:
Speaker or line level XO? (LL leaves many more options and flexibility)
How low will the AN go in a sealed or midTL box?

Then you find some (avaialble) midbass driver(s) that go low enuff (high eniff is usually not an issue), in an appropriate size box.

If passive XO,the sensitivity of the woofers should be 3-6 dB more than the AN.

Then you start doing an XO.

dave
thanks dave! didn't realize that the XO should be the starting point. really shows how new i am to all this.

Crossover
i was thinking of using a passive speaker level crossover since i only have one amp. the wife wouldn't be too happy if i get another one. i am of course assuming that a line level crossover would require me to get another amp. i'd also like to keep my setup as simple as possible... one source, one amp, one set of speakers.

Enclosure
online speaker box calculator suggests the AN would be more suited for a ported enclosure so i guess i'm going with that instead of a sealed/midTL. is there any way to compute how low the AN will go given a particular enclosure?

the FR enclosure will be integrated with a side firing woofer enclosure to limit the footprint. my 4" woofers are currently installed in my diatone DS-S3 tower speakers, which are a pain to disassemble. thanks for the tip on woofer sensitivity.
Old 28th August 2014, 02:14 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
I used qnty 6 x 6.5 inch woofers from PE (clearance items at $5 ea) in a slot loaded open baffle and really liked the sound. Same Sd as a 15 in woofer. More info here:
Cheap and FAST OB, Literally
thanks for showing me this! was actually considering doing an OB but my space is very limited. room configuration also presents a host of challenges in terms of speaker placement (my rig is set up diagonally at a corner with a loft opening right behind me and a highly irregular ceiling above... basically an audiophile's worst nightmare )
Old 28th August 2014, 02:39 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Corner placement is not necessarily a bad thing. You get a lot less reflections off of the side walls. Open to the rear also means less reflections. OB, of course poses problems because the speakers need to be away from the front wall for the dipole effects to work.

Bob
Old 28th August 2014, 02:51 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brines View Post
Corner placement is not necessarily a bad thing. You get a lot less reflections off of the side walls. Open to the rear also means less reflections. OB, of course poses problems because the speakers need to be away from the front wall for the dipole effects to work.

Bob
interesting! i always thought corners were the enemy, though never really found out why. perhaps because, as in my case, the audio only sounds "right" when you're right in front of the speakers (properly toed-in, of course).
Old 28th August 2014, 03:01 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Let's make sure we are talking the same thing. By corner placement, I mean the speakers are placed equidistant from the corner on the adjacent walls and that you are facing the corner from your chair. Having one speaker jammed into a corner and the other somewhere on the same wall is another thing and very bad.

Bob

Hide this!Advertise here!