The 12p ROCKS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is not a question as such, more of a huge thank you to Mark and team (Scott)

I'm listening to the 12p's in standard pencils and finding it rapturous :D

I had the 10.3m's running for a year and have had a great deal of enjoyment from them. And now with all the usual caveats about opinions and separates etc etc....

I love these speakers - enjoying the music to much to start searching for adjectives ;)

Mark makes some spectacular drivers, I have the A7.3's and the A10.3's and A10p's yet to be tried, with a few extra pairs to eventually make into speakers that will command a minimum of £2000-£4000 depending on materials and finish.

We demoed the A7.3's in the smallest bookshelf design, well made cabinets by myself but rubbish wiring and terminals, and they held there own against Martin Logan Electrostatics, 5' ESL panel and 8" woofer.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them, and lots of happy people agree. Try and find another manufacturer who regularly answers questions or dedicated the time to have a Skype conversation!

I guess you just need to decide which one to choose!?

Trying to decide between 10p and 12p. Seems to trade a little better frequency extension (10p, from what I've read) for efficiency (12p). I could maybe get away with a Pensil 10p, but over her dead body a Pensil 12p. Probably smallish bass reflex either way. Decisions, decisions.

Sorry Lorien, don't mean to hijack your thread! :)

Something around 14ft x 20ft. Speakers are going on/near the short wall. This wall also has a very large window at around 26" up from the floor. I can build anything I want below the window, but in front of it is the wife's airspace. Smallish bookshelves + subs would probably be approved, but towers are iffy.

Klipsch Heresys are filling the role pretty well now because they're just below the window, but the soundstage always feels short.

I switch between a Pass F5 and a Gainclone, occasionally a Topping TP20. If I was on dessert island disks, I would take the gainclone.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the 10p has the edge for some, but the 12p has more dynamic range. It's all personal opinion of course, but for me the 12p offers more than the 10.3m across the board. Not a direct comparison between the two paper drivers I know, but if the 12 is on your shopping list you won't be sorry.

I can confirm lorienblack's sentiments...I'm running 12Ps in Superpensils here and they don't mess around. With the stuffing optimised and with a high-quality source in place they play music incredibly well and they don't seem to shy away from higher SPLs either. So much potential in these drivers.
My next project is going to be 7Ps possibly with dual 12PWs using a line-level passive XO. Gimme :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.