Speaker magnet recharge service in US.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ted Weber was around for a Loong time.
Weber Speakers - Making the world a bit louder each day.
Also has a passable FAQ on whether one actually needs :) to recharge their Alnicos.
Typically Physical impact 'can ' demag an Alnico ie; Hammer blows or dropping from a significant height, both would result in a totally destroyed driver thou.
Also Over powering.. but that also requires melted even vaporised Voice coil power levels.. Happens, but not overly often

Last edited:
Ted Weber was around for a Loong time.
Weber Speakers - Making the world a bit louder each day.
Also has a passable FAQ on whether one actually needs :) to recharge their Alnicos.
Typically Physical impact 'can ' demag an Alnico ie; Hammer blows or dropping from a significant height, both would result in a totally destroyed driver thou.
Also Over powering.. but that also requires melted even vaporised Voice coil power levels.. Happens, but not overly often

A large bass pulse could substantially demag some Alnico based woofers rather effectively, without damaging the coil. The TV25-EW in the Dyna A25 was one example that was (in)famous for this. The 4 layer coil and a magnet slug in very close proximity to it were the culprits in that particular design. It depended a lot on the individual design. I recall that there were some old JBL models that were also susceptible. Don't recall which ones.

While the speakers are Ohm Fs. They are large 4 ohm full range. 40 years old. They love 300 wpc amps... Mine is a 600 wpc amp I have had several fuse blowing events... :D

So I tend to believe that recharging these magnets will help...

I am also a great believer in "shaving make a pile...."

So I am going to do this, but I want to get a gauss meter too..

Johnk

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.