Powerful Full range speakers inside small enclosure - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th August 2014, 07:49 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Powerful Full range speakers inside small enclosure

Hi
I am planning an enclosure size of 7Wx4Hx2D inch.
I am very new to all this acoustic engg stuff, so dont have much idea on how to compare and select speakers.
The only thing I know is sensitivity and power.
I got two amps, MAX9744, class d 20W and TPA2016, class d 3W.

For TPA2016, i have this speaker selected - Dayton AUdio CE 52P 3 W 4 ohm

For MAX9744, Tectonic 8 ohm 20 W

Now i am bit confused, if those would be right choices(i would never have the luxury of experimenting that much).

Basically the speaker specs I was looking for TPA2016 was
5-7W, 90 to 20K, above 90db, neo mag, paper cone, 4 or 8 ohm.

for MAX9744, 25 to 30W and rest same.

Can you suggest some options but below $20 range?
And how does a selection is made based on such an enclosure size.

---
As a side note, I had this conversation with a guy from woofer.com. He told me that TPA2016 is not a good amp as it has got high THD+N of 10%.
That got me demotivated, as I thought that would be a good amp to begin with as it has also AGC. But i dont know why he said that.

Partly that is the reason I am looking for speakers well above the amps range, coz when i ordered MAX9744 from adafruit, it was exhibiting distortion at high volumes even when the supply voltage was well below the max range of 12v. I gave it 8V with a speaker rated at 25W 4Ohm, still there was distortion.

But i now have that MAX9744 modified to include a back to back diode BAV99 at both the input channels. Have the PCB but have not tested, so am a little skeptical of it if there will be still distortion.

Thats why when I heard about TPA2016, it was a little setback, coz it had AGC.

Pls Advise.
Old 5th August 2014, 07:54 PM   #2
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Hi,

Is the size of the enclosure set in stone? Most times the speaker is designed around the driver.

Probably forget the neo magnets as they add cost to the driver.

The distortion you were hearing was most likely the amp, not the speaker but it doesn't hurt to have a speaker rated higher than the amp but it's not necessary.
Old 5th August 2014, 08:02 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

No but i wanted a portable design, so figured that would be a nice small design to have.

So what are your suggestion for speakers?
Old 5th August 2014, 08:16 PM   #4
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

I can't tell you what the speakers you require are but fair enough to say the enclosure is a lot smaller than required for the 3.5" driver. If you look up how to calculate the correct box size, you can expect a Qt of 0.707. If you like the bass a little lighter you can calculate for a Q of 0.6. If you want it a little boomier, go for a Q of 0.8 or 0.9.

Speaker Box Enclosure Designer / Calculator
Old 5th August 2014, 09:57 PM   #5
Sonce is offline Sonce  Macedonia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunm009 View Post
Hi
I am planning an enclosure size of 7Wx4Hx2D inch.
I got two amps, MAX9744, class d 20W and TPA2016, class d 3W.

For TPA2016, i have this speaker selected - Dayton AUdio CE 52P 3 W 4 ohm

For MAX9744, Tectonic 8 ohm 20 W

As a side note, I had this conversation with a guy from woofer.com. He told me that TPA2016 is not a good amp as it has got high THD+N of 10%.

when i ordered MAX9744 from adafruit, it was exhibiting distortion at high volumes even when the supply voltage was well below the max range of 12v. I gave it 8V with a speaker rated at 25W 4Ohm, still there was distortion.

But i now have that MAX9744 modified to include a back to back diode BAV99 at both the input channels. Have the PCB but have not tested, so am a little skeptical of it if there will be still distortion.
Loudspeaker box size must be calculated according to loudspeaker's TS parameters.
Vifa TC9FD loudspeaker is much better than Dayton or Tectonic models. Greater efficiency, too.
TPA2016 has low distortion - less than 0.2% up to 2W. Maximum power is 3W at 10% distortion. The main disadvantage of TPA2016 is very low power, not high distortion. 0.2% is a low distortion.
For the maximum power and the lowest distortion from MAX9744, use 14V (12V) supply voltage, not 8V.
Remove BAV99 diode, distortion has nothing with it.
Old 23rd August 2014, 07:07 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonce View Post
Loudspeaker box size must be calculated according to loudspeaker's TS parameters.
Vifa TC9FD loudspeaker is much better than Dayton or Tectonic models. Greater efficiency, too.
TPA2016 has low distortion - less than 0.2% up to 2W. Maximum power is 3W at 10% distortion. The main disadvantage of TPA2016 is very low power, not high distortion. 0.2% is a low distortion.
For the maximum power and the lowest distortion from MAX9744, use 14V (12V) supply voltage, not 8V.
Remove BAV99 diode, distortion has nothing with it.

Vifa is a good little speaker for near-field listening. earlier i had a max9744 class d amp from adafruit powering it. there was distortion at high volumes. powered it from a 12v 500ma adapter.
later i got myself a tripath ta 2024 amp. that was good. really smooth. but since it was only 15 watt, cant confirm if the speakers at fault or the amp(max9744) for distortion.

need to buy a 12v 3.5A adapter to really see wats going on.

any case i think i ta2024 will do. but since the speakers is only 83dB, not too loud. are there any other options wch have sensitivity near 90 db.

i found this one though - Faital pro

there is a 8 ohm version too. though both are costly for me. something below $20 will do.

by the way will it make any diff to sound if a 4ohm version is used(any speaker).
Old 23rd August 2014, 07:54 PM   #7
Sonce is offline Sonce  Macedonia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunm009 View Post
there was distortion at high volumes. powered it from a 12v 500ma adapter.
cant confirm if the speakers at fault or the amp(max9744) for distortion.

need to buy a 12v 3.5A adapter to really see wats going on.
500mA adapter is totaly inadequate, you must use an adapter with at least 2A.
Speakers are just fine, also MAX9744, but you can't force amplifier to be louder, distortion you heard was due to amp clipping and too low current supply from the adapter.
Do use 12V 3.5A adapter, but do not expect miracles, TA2024 realy is only 2x11W (with low 0.1% distortion ).
If you need higher volume, you must use power supply with more than 12V (also more than 2A), adequate amplifier (more than 20W) and loudspeakers with efficiency higher than 90dB/1W/1m.

Use 4 ohm version - more W from amp and more dB SPL from loudspeakers.

Hide this!Advertise here!