Speaker wire for Markaudio CHP-70.2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've recently purchased a pair of Markaudio CHP-70.2 drivers and would like to know what type or brand of speaker wire would compliment this type of driver. It's small and dainty and don't imagine big thick speaker wire would be appropriate. I'm thinking something smaller, maybe solid core? I've been using Supra Ply2.0 from Solen.ca to good effect, but it's 14 gauge. Seems kinda thick. It will be powered by a PP EL84 tube amp.

Also, I've updated my blog with some preliminary impressions on the CHP-70 Gen 2.

Joseph Crowe's DIY Speaker Building Blog: Markaudio CHP-70 Natural

Thanks in advance.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Joeseph,

We use a pair of single strands from a chunk of CAT 5 cable. Use the same colour on each side as each pair has a different twist. Of course if you take it to the next leve and untwist the pair (lay them flat, sorta parallel sandwiched between packing tape or wind them around a circular carrier crossing them at close to 90 degrees) then that becomes moot.

24 g solid. The plenum grade (teflon insulation) is preferred.

dave

here we go again

short answer would be anything larger gauge than 18 is probably overkill between amp an speaker unless runs are something silly like over 50ft ea

house brand Home Depot or Rona etc should be fine

hell, some of us use single strand of 24 solid stripped from CAT5 or 6 etc for lengths of 10ft or less, and I'm still awaiting someone to visit my system with majik wire that will transcend everything I've ever heard - sorry for the sarcasm, but play in this hobby long enough, and you'll get jaded

edit: Dave sniped me again on this one - same net thrust

Thanks Dave, Chrisb, I've also built the CAT5 speaker cable using the plans from the TNT Audio website. They make a big difference.
Joseph Crowe's DIY Speaker Building Blog: Bi-Wire DIY Speaker Cable

Maybe I'll go this route but not use so many strands. I could go a single cat5 using only two of the four pairs. Specifically the tightly twisted pairs I would think. Two pairs of 24 gauge is roughly the same cross sectional area as a single 18 gauge wire.

Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.