Bi-AMP with OB - no need for LLXO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I am using a line level active cross over (XM1) to biamp between:
2A3 amp -> Fostex 208ez open baffle
AND
SS amp -> Eminence woofers (<150hz).

Could I get rid of the cross over in the line to improve the sound? The open baffle doesn't need a high pass so I am thinking I could tap into the speaker output with a low pass filter to the ss amp (as in the attached pdf). That way everything <150hz doesn't have to go through the XO opamps. The resistor values are approximate. Does anyone have experience with this approach?
Henry

Attachments

• speaker level biamping.pdf
    22.8 KB · Views: 52
I'd be inclined to disagree with you on "no need" for HP for the Fostex - I think you find it is much more comfortable operating with the reduced excursion - particularly in an OB

you could get away with a very simple passive line level XO - if there's room for an extra pair of RCAs on the 2A3 amp you could literally build it into the amp, and tap the isolated outputs to the woofer amp in the same chassis

Last edited:
Read this primer on PLLXO, it includes an excel worksheet for calculating component values

TLS.org | Passive Line-Level Crossover

Yes, if you factor in amp's input impedance in the calculus, you can get away with a single cap, which allows you to get spendy if you like

If you already have a conventional SS power / integrated amp for woofers, you'll likely need the LP XO as shown, and volume controls on each for balancing relative levels never hurts
If not, I rather prefer something like this guy to plate amps:

Dayton Audio APA150 150W Power Amplifier

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.