New 4" fullrange

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
... And offhand, the top octave rolloff doesn't seem worse than a lot of tweeters. (Am I crazy? It looked better than a few tweeters I pulled up, but nothing had how many degrees off axis labeled).

No, you're not crazy, but I'd be a little wary, since that LMS data looks to be about 1/3 octave smoothed for a start. Still, a good small widebander can in some ways equal the performance of a small dome tweeter, & some might actually suggest exceed it in certain areas. The actual engineering is probably getting a bit esoteric for the purposes of this thread though, and I don't pretend to be an expert on driver design. Suffice it to say, there's some that aren't half bad. Besides, even though I was good for 18KHz or so last I checked, I'd be more bothered about what's happening somewhat lower & if it doesn't manage a perfect 20KHz or higher, it's not the end of the world. Plenty of regular tweeters can't do that either.

Last edited:
I would like to point out here that my measurements of the previous AIR driver differed significantly from the manufacturers data. Mine do not go all the way to 20kHz and have an ugly resonance smack bang where you don't want it to be, requiring significant attention between 1 and 3kHz.

I'm using them as a pair of rear surrounds, but they really do need a tweeter. That resonance is really the main issue though as it screws up the presence region and raises the second harmonic significantly throughout. You can do a lot better.

Of course this driver could be totally different, but I wouldn't touch them until I see some proper measurements.

THD

22.jpg

View attachment A430 V1.1.pdf

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.