Gallo Style IKEA vase speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My DIY IKEA full range loudspeakers.
IKEA-Gallo-Speaker.jpg

Used as office desktop speakers with an small tube amp.
Full project at: Cheap and good looking DIY Desktop loudspeakers by Stockholmviews.com.

Go to a shop that sells outdoor lighting (for industrial / commercial use). Many such lamps use a polycarbonate plastic sphere as a shade / enclosure. They come in a range of sizes.
For example:
Lighting Globes - Spheres - from Edith Aiken

This is an interesting link. They have some really big globes. A hemisphere could also be interesting. I wonder though how strong they are.

Nice little speakers Greggan. What are the drive units like? I have considered getting some of these myself for experimenting with. They are 3" Monacor drive units that Monacor say are suitable for use in a F.A.S.T system.
A doughnut/ torus shaped ring would be perhaps a nicer way of mounting them on a surface.

Another alternative for Acrylic spheres could be the range of "Biorb" fish tanks that come in 15, 30, 60 and 120 litre sizes. Have thought about trying these for awhile. With a few modifications they might be useable as enclosures. They should be very strong to contain that amount of water and could be left transparent or painted internally to whatever colour one desired!
Fish food for thought!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.