12 inch full range SP-30PATC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

This 12" Monacor IMG Stage Line full range driver appears very interesting. Looks like very well built.

Any user experience ?

MONACOR INTERNATIONAL : SP-30PATC

Attachments

• G104240A.jpg
    G104240A.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 931
Indeed an interesting speaker. Now, these PA things are designed for high efficiency rather than subtlety and detail. Still it would be fun to try building with it. I notice from a quick sim in WinISD that it will be difficult to get real bass with a bass reflex enclosure. Perhaps someone with access to Martin King's spreadsheets could try an MLTL for it?
The f-currve is quite ok, except for a dip at 3khz.

Last edited:
Now, these PA things are designed for high efficiency rather than subtlety and detail.

How that can be seen from the specification ? What specification parameters correlate with 'subtlety' and 'detail' ? :spin:

I notice from a quick sim in WinISD that it will be difficult to get real bass with a bass reflex enclosure. Perhaps someone with access to Martin King's spreadsheets could try an MLTL for it?

I think a simple closed box placed against a wall will perform just well in a domestic living room. Boundary condition compensates for otherwise lowish Q.

The f-currve is quite ok, except for a dip at 3khz.

The dip at 3kHz is the BBC dip, of course ! :D

428617d1405425283-12-inch-full-range-sp-30patc-sp-30patc_taajuusvaste.png

Attachments

• SP-30PATC_taajuusvaste.PNG
    SP-30PATC_taajuusvaste.PNG
    32 KB · Views: 1,255
I agree on the P.Audio look-alike frame.

A couple of kHz too high for a proper BBC dip, but... ;)

These things would do well in a Karlson IMO. It's the only pro 12" FR with a relatively low Qt I can think of. Good thing Fs is not suffering from it an up > 80Hz.

A recent thread about a Celestion driver with similar dustcap at the whizzer's edge had the poster remove it with subjective amelioration.

How that can be seen from the specification ? What specification parameters correlate with 'subtlety' and 'detail' ? :spin:

It's a 400W PA speaker. In the specs. This kind of FR speaker is more likely used in a guitar amp, for example. Ultimate detail resolution is never a design criterium in such speakers. :spin:

I think it is safe to assume that a MarkAudio will sound more delicate and refined... but of course this beast may make up for it with a live kind of sensation.

I am interested to hear it.

Any idea about the cost ?

Looks like around 120€ (incl. taxes)

A couple of kHz too high for a proper BBC dip, but... ;)

All the references I can remember indicate BBC dip to be at about 3kHz. Is that not proper ?

These things would do well in a Karlson IMO.

Karlson is the best solution for everything... Or that impression one gets when reading these forums :no:

It's a 400W PA speaker. In the specs. This kind of FR speaker is more likely used in a guitar amp, for example. Ultimate detail resolution is never a design criterium in such speakers. :spin:

According to this theory, high power handling excludes 'ultimate detail resolution' ? :smash:

I think it is safe to assume that a MarkAudio will sound more delicate and refined... but of course this beast may make up for it with a live kind of sensation.

It is not meaningful to compare drivers of wastly different sizes.
I'm sure that if Mark Audio would make a 12 inch metal cone driver it would sound quite terrible :D

For those interested, plenty of info, measurements, plan, filter, description in German about Wallter can be found here:

Test Selbstbauprojekt - IMG Stageline K+T "Wallter" - Seite 1

It is in essence the complete Klang & Ton article.

Quite an interesting design for unobtrusive wall mounting.

EDIT: in a later published erratum, the BR pipe should be 13cm long.

Last edited:
Thanks talaerts, I had seen hifitest.de article but had forgotten it by now.

It is interesting that some dare to publish a speaker design in these modern days with 12" driver playing all the way above 10kHz :D

I think it is quite a cool spacesaving design. They definitely recommend the tweeter in the sound description, it seems to sound a bit dark without it.
The two notch filters in the filter design will also come in useful if other enclosure types are tried out.

Anyone here heard about the sp-30pax? It's an earlier more powerful 600 w program driver. New diaphragms are easily found, but no info on the driver.

For me this alone is a good reason for NOT buing monacor / img / stageline, they throw away product information. So does other companies, doesn't make it any better... I sent them an email asking for the specs, no answers so far...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.