Rope coil baskets as enclosures? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th July 2014, 03:25 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Rope coil baskets as enclosures?

Been reading up on old foam core threads and I was struck by a (possibly) innovative idea:

If one wants to build an unusually shaped enclosure (such as the cones, horns or other curvy and carpentry-resistant shapes found on exotic desgns) why couldn't one...

Use a coil of rope? Just Google "rope coil basket" or "rope basket" and especially in photos, you'll see that it is a widely used medium for making, well, baskets out of rope, yarn, etc.

Why couldn't one make a 3-D shape that would be what's needed for a weird design? For example one of the B&W (?) teardrop aperiodic enclosures for the mids, highs?

Possible advantages: materials are cheap: probably can do it with rope and glue, including xrk971's all-time favorite, hot melt glue! You could create most any shape as long as it is a spiral laid out design. Sort of how a dog um -- extrudes his grotesque bowel sculpture -- but would be laid down and glued as you go. Fibers are naturally sound absorbing which is usually desirable. High decoration possibilities. If you have a crafty wife or other talented person (especially at a low wage scale) she can make something artistic to absorb that nasty backwave. Yes, some females have a predilection to almost pathologically knit most all the time, much akin to how certain males make DIY speakers. My proposal would harness the female's innate nesting insinct towards audio ends. Heck, maybe even knit a set of speakers?

Challenges: not by nature air-tight. No problem. Inside, outside, or both are covered in more glue, paint, resin, whatever to make it sealed. Probably time consuming. Difficult to undo a mistake.

P.S. I claim dibs on "knotaloss" for a project name I look forward to being upbraided by you for my knotty ideas. You must admit, though, I have struck a cord.

Sincerely, your basket case, Soldermizer.

Last edited by Soldermizer; 13th July 2014 at 03:50 AM.
Old 13th July 2014, 05:16 AM   #2
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Stop asking and just do it. Your understanding of the fairer sex is outstanding. I wish I had your stones, not to mention the extremely punny way of looking at things.

It might actually work if you use a high q driver, and the pics of the project would be great. Let's see something by next Saturday.
Old 13th July 2014, 11:53 AM   #3
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Enclosures in principle should be rigid and airtight; the basket fails on both counts.

You´ll reinforce it with hot glue?
Poor choice and expensive, once you add up the hundred or more stick cost.

Better mix some marine grade (which actually is the cheapest and most available) polyester resin and brush it on, layer after later.

Fiberglass improves the end product.

In fact, forget the basket and make your reinforced resin cabinet in any shape you wish, since that seems to be the point.

Knit damping material? What for? It won´t absorb more or better than before.
Old 13th July 2014, 12:28 PM   #4
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Interesting idea there Soldermizer. You are on the right track and if you recall, Patrick Bateman has been making custom odd shape horns to, pardon the pun, shoehorn into the crevices of the door panels of his car for years using burlap and PVA glue. Sisal rope, burlap bags, etc can all be used with whatever hardening matrix agent you wish. The cheapest of which I would guess is flour and water for a burlap mâché horn. The structure can then be painted with waterproof sealer once done. I am with Cal, just go do it and show us some pics by next week! There are premade basket material sun hats that may make a good fullrange tractrix horn once hardened with PVA.
Cheers,
X
Old 14th July 2014, 02:26 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

the rope might provide a nice aperiodic enclosure though most rope is tight but the fibers will provide a lot of internal loss. Good idea now you need to make it work. Best regards Moray James.
Old 14th July 2014, 03:09 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

how about forming the shape using rope first, then cover both sides with cement.....

fiber-reinforced concrete-enclosure.
Old 14th July 2014, 03:54 PM   #7
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

Why Dick around with bits of hairy rope?
A favourite Crazy old Gardening lady standby: Hypertufa.
How to Make Hypertufa Planters: 8 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow
Easily done, decidedly rigid and can always be recycled as a plant pot

Hide this!Advertise here!