Looking for Full Range Driver Recommendations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'll use this thread to ask the same thing the ownder of thread asked, but with some different specs!

1- 500 watts max
2- 5~6"
3- 4 ohms (minimum peaks of 2 ohms, despite I believe my amp can handle a little lower ohms)
4- Doesn't matter if it's loud or not
5- Good sound quality

Does a fullrange driver with those specs exist? Any advice will be very appreciated!

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to build a portable turntable cabinet that runs on batteries. I need some recommendations for full range speakers. The requirements are:

1 - 175 watts Max
2 - 10"
3 - 8 ohms
4 - Loud
5 - Good Sound Quality

Thank you very much, anyone have any ideas?
You can have a coax or a fullrange.
Sonido SWR-250 (eu) pdf
Audio Nirvana Super 10" Neo link
Eminence Beta-10CX 10" Coaxial Driver (you need a CD)
P.AUDIO BM10CXA 10" Coaxial Driver
P AUDIO HP-10T pdf
Voxativ AC-1.5 Fullrange Driver link1, link2, site
Eminence LEGEND B102 (if using a supertweeter)
Celestion BN10-200S bis

The Monacor SPH-60X doesn't "hit" 175W ! And it's a 5"
Hits less than a half, i.e. 30 W and 60 W rms
A protection grill might(y)be needed if it is to be brought around and outside
( cars ? cats? dogs :rolleyes: 9
The audio nirvana 6.5" exhibits :eek: 94.2 dB/W/m which is 4.5 dB more than the Monacor, but look at the magnet...and the price

Last edited:
1 - 175 watts Max

Power-handling in a drive unit is only the point at which either the VC fries or it rips apart. In general, you will struggle to put anything like that kind of power through a widebander, assuming you possess the remotest degree of mechanical sympathy / common sense, as it will be very obvious you have reached practical limits.

Not many of those about. Eminence have some; you'll need a supporting tweeter. Audio Nirvana have a couple.

3 - 8 ohms

8ohm is a nominal rating & a broad category. You will not find a driver with exactly 8ohm impedance (a couple of planar tweeters aside). They'll vary between about 6 - 8 ohms. 7-ish is typical.

If you've 175w on tap, it's going to be 'loud' anyway. You're not likely to find a 10in wideband drive unit that has low efficiency / sensitivity.

5 - Good Sound Quality

Unfortunately doesn't mean much, since what one person regards as 'good sound quality' isn't necessarily what somebody else does. We all look for different things.

Something like an Eminence coax (Beta CX) or a B102 + supporting tweeter would probably be about right.

Power-handling in a drive unit is only the point at which either the VC fries or it rips apart. In general, you will struggle to put anything like that kind of power through a widebander, assuming you possess the remotest degree of mechanical sympathy / common sense, as it will be very obvious you have reached practical limits.

Not many of those about. Eminence have some; you'll need a supporting tweeter. Audio Nirvana have a couple.

8ohm is a nominal rating & a broad category. You will not find a driver with exactly 8ohm impedance (a couple of planar tweeters aside). They'll vary between about 6 - 8 ohms. 7-ish is typical.

If you've 175w on tap, it's going to be 'loud' anyway. You're not likely to find a 10in wideband drive unit that has low efficiency / sensitivity.

Unfortunately doesn't mean much, since what one person regards as 'good sound quality' isn't necessarily what somebody else does. We all look for different things.

Something like an Eminence coax (Beta CX) or a B102 + supporting tweeter would probably be about right.

Thank you very much for the detailed response. What kind of supporting tweeter would you recommend?

Disabled Account
Joined 2009
Hello Everyone,

I am trying to build a portable turntable cabinet that runs on batteries. I need some recommendations for full range speakers. The requirements are:

1 - 175 watts Max
2 - 10"
3 - 8 ohms
4 - Loud
5 - Good Sound Quality

Thank you very much, anyone have any ideas?

175 watt on batteries??????:confused:

You can have the highest efficient drivers but if you put it in a non-efficient cabinet then you've gained nothing.

So what frequencies do you want to have a "hit" with?

You may want to investigate the Karlson and its variants - they go loud - I had a pair of the "Dutch Karlson's" with Fane drivers in my parents pub and you could not run them full tilt, place would empty out.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.