beginner full range speaker - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th January 2004, 06:34 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default beginner full range speaker

I saw a very nice full range project that looked like it was in my league, not to mention very clean looking. Apparently it sounded very nice as well! A friend of mine highly recommended full range setups.

I found this http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...264-812&ctab=2 and was wondering if I could get some opinions on it. They would ber very low cost, easy to work a box around, and clean looking.

How would these sound? They seem to have a decent response down to 200Hz or so, and on-axis response seems decent as well. Are there other speakers I should consider? I dont want to spend more than 25 dollars each driver. These will be made with 3/4" MDF and wont be large. Also shielded would be necessary, so that I can use them in my home theater.

TIA!
Old 12th January 2004, 06:51 PM   #2
tiroth is offline tiroth  United States
diyAudio Member

The problem I see for home-theater is that both sensitivity and power handling are low. The response above 10kHz looks questionable. Some of the other tangbands have been reviewed favorably and might be a better choice.
Old 12th January 2004, 06:52 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I will keep looking. Lows dont have to be that powerful since it will have an accompanying sub. Highs are important to me. A full range is also appealing cost wise since only one driver is used, and a crossover would not be used (right?).
Old 12th January 2004, 07:05 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to swirv
If full range 3" speaker at a low cost is what you seek ..look at nothing else but the Tangband W3-871S from CSS or Nuera. Quite posible that this is the best sounding 3" driver there is. Or at lest the best low cost full range driver for that matter.

They are $12 at Neura and $10 from CSS. I'd get them from CSS not only because they cost less from them but becasue of the relationship of the person who we all owe the creation of this driver with CSS, Al Wooley. Al, when he was with Nuera, had this driver made to satisfiy the DIY market. Al now works with CSS on speaker design and cabnet construction.

I myself have build a set of SuperELF's and they sound great. I am soon going to build a set of speakers like the ELF 1.0 but with a low diffraction baffle and sealed. So really its not like the ELF and more like this

CSS

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12th January 2004, 07:10 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thats the one I saw. I like that response curve also!

I think I can make that notch filter as well. Thanks! Ill order one Friday, if I have enough left after bills hehe.
Old 12th January 2004, 07:38 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I whole-heartedly agree with the selection of the W3-871S over your previous selection. It appears that CSS has discontinued the Elf1.5, probably because the SuperElf fits that nitch. I would strongly recommend spending a tad bit more so you can get the extra driver. The single driver is just a little too small for HT. Two 871s in a ported cabinet with a BDS network makes for a good small HT speaker.
ELF1.5

Hide this!Advertise here!