Which Woofer to a Omega fullrange?? HELP - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th July 2014, 12:53 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Which Woofer to a Omega fullrange?? HELP

Hi,
My fullrange is a Omega 7 inches, alnico, 8 ohms, 93dB sensitivity, TS par are:
Re - 7.2 ohm
Fs - 43.585 Hz
Sd - 134.782cm2
Md - 2 grams
BL - 4.971T-M
Qms - 2.030
Qes - 0.430
Qts - 0.355
No - 1.186%
SPL - 93dB
VAS - 63.770Liters
Cms - 2.47 2m M/N
Krm - 242.164 ohm
Erm - 0.979
Mms - 5.394 grams
Mmd - 4.494 grams
Kxm - 20.332 mH
Ekm - 0.585
The Omega will run in OB and the woofer in a BassReflex box with the usual inductor 4,7mH at 280Hz.
I need select a 15inches woofer to pair the Omega. My amp is 6C33 15W.
Question: What should be the woofer ideal sensitivity??
Thanks in advance

Last edited by FullRangeMan; 8th July 2014 at 12:55 PM.
Old 9th July 2014, 04:41 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Looks like a nice driver... OMEGA Model 7A (92.1 dB/2.83V/m).
HOME
The only way, you need a sensitive 15" (~95dB) and a driver that goes low in frequency.
If you can't get a JBL LE14A in second hand, then here is a list of possibilities:
B&C 15 PS100
PHL Audio 5021
BMS 15N850
Dayton Audio PA385S-8
Volt Loudspeakers RV3863
Selenium 15SW3P - 60L
Beyma 15SW1300Nd - 60L

To have a better extension (LF) you need a next set of drivers for BR enclosures usually bigger than 75L
Selenium 15SW1P - 80L
The JBL/Selenium 2226H is a nice driver but w/higher sensitivity pdf
TVM ARA-390-00/8 - 100L link
Peavey 15" Low Rider - 100L link
Peavey Pro 15 Low Frequency link in a TL/quarter-wave? (or BR >300L)
McCauley 6242 Specifications in a 100L
JBL SELENIUM

Other drivers, I will have to check one by one (only if you are interested).
JBL 2235H
AE TD15H
MONACOR SPH-390TC
PEERLESS SLS15
FOSTEX
SUPRAVOX
ALTEC
BEYMA SM115/K
DAVIS
Eminence
SELENIUM WPU1505/09
FAITAL PRO
Fane
Old 9th July 2014, 06:18 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks Inductor,
I had in mind some Eminence model with low MMS as Delta Pro15A or DELTALITE II2515 as they are avaliable in my country, but they are both higher sensitivity(99 and 101dB).
This is a problem??
The woofer must be 95-96db??
Speaker Detail | Eminence Speaker

Old 9th July 2014, 09:08 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi,
They are both 98 dB/2.83V/m in 2Pi space, 94 dB in 4Pi (under BS frequency).
Then you can manage the inductors you have available for best summation with FR. Maybe turning the woofer on the sides (reflection) or to the back/down would be an option, but I don't have experience doing this; how to reduce SPL from a woofer besides doing it with passive components and working with position (in the speaker) and location in the room. (It can be modeled.)
I would say that the Eminence Deltalite II 2515 would work better for you needing a smaller BR enclosure with better roll-off in a natural curve for a 140L as an example.
Old 10th July 2014, 01:17 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

This is correct they are both 98dB at the 200-300 range.
I also prefer the 2515 but it more expensive, but the max enclousure size recommended to the 2515 is 119L according the factory:
A 140L would damage the driver??

Placing the both woofers facing sides(facing each other side) will enhance the soundstage greatly.
Thanks to remember it, it open a new set os possibilities.

Why you think the woofers must have around 96dB??
Old 10th July 2014, 02:03 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullRangeMan View Post
This is correct they are both 98dB at the 200-300 range.
I also prefer the 2515 but it more expensive, but the max enclousure size recommended to the 2515 is 119L according the factory:
A 140L would damage the driver??

Placing the both woofers facing sides(facing each other side) will enhance the soundstage greatly.
Thanks to remember it, it open a new set os possibilities.

Why you think the woofers must have around 96dB??
Dismiss that statement, there's not a recommended alignment from a factory that is right. Not for a good project at least. And notice that it doesn't say the tuning that enclosure will have or curve with frequencies/output for that matter. Do you think they measured it and tested?!...

An ideal alignment (best both F3 and extension in LF) for this driver is 164 L@33 Hz. (It's a long distance from 119L.) A smaller enclosure does nothing (good) to the frequency response besides being more tight. Usually in 2/3ways you need higher Q for better response with mid which is not the case. A 140L, in between, is perfectly fine.
Old 10th July 2014, 05:37 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inductor View Post
Dismiss that statement, there's not a recommended alignment from a factory that is right. Not for a good project at least. And notice that it doesn't say the tuning that enclosure will have or curve with frequencies/output for that matter. Do you think they measured it and tested?!...

An ideal alignment (best both F3 and extension in LF) for this driver is 164 L@33 Hz. (It's a long distance from 119L.) A smaller enclosure does nothing (good) to the frequency response besides being more tight. Usually in 2/3ways you need higher Q for better response with mid which is not the case. A 140L, in between, is perfectly fine.
I see, I unaware the Eminence suggested projects was so wrong.
It looks likely as the factory project are suggested to midbass and mid.

Tonight I will play with the numbers from 140 to 170L to get a Golden ratio box if possible and cameback to inform.
Agradeço sua atenção
Old 10th July 2014, 06:06 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

In this case (close to a total volume final project) it's important you count with vents and driver for internal v. Driver is 2.38 liters + Ports 1-2 liters it depends of the type you are using. If you are using tubes, what's the int. diameter of the tubes you have available (from 7.4cm to 12cm or other smaller/multiple ports) or rectangular port in ply or in the the same material of the speaker. (~4L total extra add to Vb 140/170L for internal dimensions)
Old 10th July 2014, 06:13 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullRangeMan View Post
It looks likely as the factory project are suggested to midbass and mid.
Very likely. Other designers will suggest that when you have the crossover at 1K2 or 1K6Hz (or other) working with a (CD) tweeter like for the iconic ZilchWaves. Not only the smaller enclosure but also for the higher tuning, that is not the case.
Old 10th July 2014, 06:43 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

OK. Do you recommend 2 ducted BR ports or 1 large rectangular vent like this image??
Click the image to open in full size.

Hide this!Advertise here!