Dayton PS-220 8" Full Range Build Suggestions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th July 2014, 07:10 PM   #1
ani101 is offline ani101  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Dayton PS-220 8" Full Range Build Suggestions

I have acquired a pair of Dayton PS220 (8" Full range with a wheezer cone and a very stylish looking copper colored phase plug).

I am looking for suggestions as to what type of build would be suitable for this Fullrange driver. Any pointers to existing or new design or design ideas are welcome. Anything from sealed, porter, MLTL, F.A.S.T or OB or anytingelse.

I am of course aware of Curt's Singularity and know that it is a very nice and simple build and might probably end up building it. But am looking forward to see if there are any other ideas or designs around this driver.

Thanks and Regards
Ani
Old 7th July 2014, 07:56 PM   #2
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

I believe Greg B's "Karlsonator8" would work (there's a larger version of the plan in his stupidhifitricks Google folder)

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-5...lsonator-8.png

here's the first build of that cabinet (the aperture could be extended higher)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...9872967&type=3

also, PS220 should work in a classic Karlson K12. It would work in some MLTL - amplifier output impedance should be figured into its parameters.
Old 8th July 2014, 10:23 AM   #3
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

+1 on the Karlsonator it sims very well and achieves nice bass extension and has great dynamics with a clean impulse response.
Old 8th July 2014, 03:02 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

HI

Thanks for the links

Is there any specific modelling for the PS-220 - do i need to change anything or just go for the 8" version?
Old 8th July 2014, 03:22 PM   #5
Greg B is offline Greg B  United States
diyAudio Member

xrk modeled it a little time back. Look through this thread: Dayton's PS220 - does it have that ~450Hz dip or not?

Based on my experience, I would expect some differences in real life measurements vs sims. I suspect this is due to the 3d nature of real boxes vs the 2d model.

Anyway, that first dip (at 200) just isn't showing up, or is much reduced. The HF response will be shelved down slightly compared to what the prediction shows. You will probably be able to get away without a contour filter.
Old 8th July 2014, 04:57 PM   #6
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

fwiw , here's thejessman's outdoor graph of a Visaton BG20 in the Karlsonator 8 vs the Karlsonator 12 - - I don't know how much smoothing he employed but the response looks pretty good. The lack of top end comes from mic being outside of the narrow high frequency lobe. In my cramped indoor quarters and classic Karlson 12, BG20 is a low frequency (~50Hz to 1KHz) "equivalent" to Beta10cx. A "Karlsonator10" could be real cool for Beta10cx and compression driver.

I think Jesse had the Karlsonator8's stub lined and perhaps nothing in the Karlsonator12's stub. In practice the stub might be lightly stuffed with polyfil. (Hey Greg B and xrk971 - would adding two inches of width to the Karlsonator8 be sufficient to convert it to a good Karlsonator10 for Beta10cx? - if so then could be pretty punchy for home theater)

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by freddi; 8th July 2014 at 05:12 PM.
Old 8th July 2014, 07:00 PM   #7
Greg B is offline Greg B  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddi View Post
(Hey Greg B and xrk971 - would adding two inches of width to the Karlsonator8 be sufficient to convert it to a good Karlsonator10 for Beta10cx? - if so then could be pretty punchy for home theater)
That seemed about right when I took a cursory look at this question before. I didn't run any sims though, and of course I don't have xrk's ultra-cool akabak script.

Just don't try to run a nouveau APT50 in them suckers. BTW, has anyone tried a PSD2002 in any of the Eminence coaxials? That would probably be a pretty good with the Beta10CX crossed at 1.5kHz or so.
Old 9th July 2014, 12:32 AM   #8
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

FWIW, here's the somewhat 'fat' 35 Hz MLTL I simmed for myself using measuring specs awhile back, but haven't been able to build it yet:

L = 60"
CSA = 164.5"^2 [suggest 16.312 W x 10.09 D]
zdriver = 22.63"
zport = 51.43"
dport = 5"
lport = 0.75"

All dims inside [i.d.] and approximate and simmed with minimal damping.

GM
Attached Images
File Type: gif Dayton PS220-8 35 Hz MLTL.gif (6.7 KB, 168 views)
Old 9th July 2014, 09:35 PM   #9
hm is offline hm  Europe
diyAudio Member

Default dayton 8"

my suggestion would be my satellite horns
Schalmei, Trumpet, Horn

or the double horns
Saxophon, RDH20, Posaune XL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rdh20seasBB1web.jpg (92.6 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg Bassel-mit HornSathintergrund.jpg (53.6 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg alphorn schalmeihinterg.jpg (110.7 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg fostexelephant2b.jpg (172.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg poxlwolf2.jpg (88.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg saxophon nirvana.jpg (64.7 KB, 13 views)
Old 10th July 2014, 08:01 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
FWIW, here's the somewhat 'fat' 35 Hz MLTL I simmed for myself using measuring specs awhile back, but haven't been able to build it yet:

L = 60"
CSA = 164.5"^2 [suggest 16.312 W x 10.09 D]
zdriver = 22.63"
zport = 51.43"
dport = 5"
lport = 0.75"

All dims inside [i.d.] and approximate and simmed with minimal damping.

GM
Is this for the PS220 diver? If i am interpreting it correctly
the Length is to be 60"
is the CSA the cabinet width and depth? Can they be interchanged to get a slimmer cabinet or the dimensions important for the MLTL?
The zdriver and the zport are the position of the driver and port o nthe 60" lenght? and the dport and lport are the port dimensions. So for 3/4 mdf, just a 5 inch hole would do for a port?

Thanks and Regards
Ani

Hide this!Advertise here!