Experience with Lafayette SK98?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

GM

Joined 2003
Greets!

A ‘golden oldie’! I used them in tower TL alignments tuned fairly low due to its high Fs and relatively ‘weak’ motor.

Anyway, a quick Google search popped up this link with some measured specs to work with, confirming my empirically derived [pre -T/S specs] designs were ‘close enough’: Full Range Driver Fans: Tell me about the Lafayette SK-98 - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

A couple of other links indicated that cabs designed for the popular Philips 9710M will work, so plenty to choose from by searching the ‘net if you don’t want to design your own.

GM

broken.png
Hallo IG81 !
Thank you, nice side!
I found this cabinet for the SK98 too
$_12.JPG

$%28KGrHqN,%21rMFIiNy,B9,BSOM+jPU+%21%7E%7E60_12.JPG

It is a 37L closed cab.. But i think that is not ideal for the SK98...
Regards
Reza

GM

Joined 2003
I assume the non-whizzered SK98 won't have the 9710's 10dB+ HF plateau, so listening off-axis, as some Sonab designs, might feel a bit dull.

Well, it's a bi-flex design and supposedly it's really a Pioneer PIM-20:

GM

Attachments

• pim-20a.JPG
    pim-20a.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 46
  • PIM-20A_PIM-8 general specifications.gif
    PIM-20A_PIM-8 general specifications.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Frequency response_pim-20a(1).JPG
    Frequency response_pim-20a(1).JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 77

GM

Joined 2003
I thought they were OK back then, certainly better than the cheap whizzer loaded alternatives, but then there wasn't much true HF on vinyl and normally listened to off axis whether seated or moving around.

Still, I used a 2.2 uF capped off Motorola horn [the cheap one with the Styrofoam driver cap] to ~ 'kill two birds with one stone'. Loaded in a TL, it was one of my Econowave alignments decades before Zilch coined the phrase.

Probably wouldn't measure worth a toot or maybe even listenable with today's 20 kHz CDs, but it sounded fine to me and the folks I built them for, which was far more important.

GM

Last edited:
its a magical driver i almost compare it to an altec 755 e it has a bit more cleaner mid-range than the 9710 and less peaky by about 5db db so amp matching is crucial
i posted 2 weeks ago about the mltqwt cab that i did for the 9710 and have tried the sk98 in it it was good but had much softer bass than the 9710 so i have them in a sealed 50 l cab fully stuffed with a horn loaded silk dome at 6db slope at 6k and they sound wonderful with a 45 amp, i do use a th sub with them crossed at 90 hz

the mltqwt cab was designed via martin king site Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design

when i have time after my 5 other audio projects i will build a toronado cabinet which was my original plan when i got the sk98 10 yrs ago(diytime flies faster)

hello GM its merdy from a asylum hope you are s/well

Attachments

• toranodo.pdf
    752.3 KB · Views: 69
  • CIMG0174.JPG
    CIMG0174.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 83
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.