2-2.5 inch full range driver distributors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, i am trying to start building lots of different speaker designs and seem to be seriously lacking a good full range driver distributor or place to buy, anyone got any ideas?
And also, what are the key points i would want to search in order to find a fullrange with a good sound quality and bright high frequencies?

I don't really understand how less than thirty euros, including tax, for probably the best 2.5" full ranger driver out there is particularly expensive. :eek:

I'd just save a bit of money and buy those. I mean nothing else that I've seen measured comes close to the SB drivers in that size range, for distortion, a FR free from resonances and the combined cone area + xmax for the basket size.

I mean if you wanted you could get the FR58EX from Europe audio, it's less expensive, but it's a complete gamble as I've never seen one measured. All I'm basing this on is the fact that the FR88EX has very good measured performance. The Vifa NE full rangers should be very good, but they are expensive and not going to beat the SB imo. And the Peerless 830983 type drivers, Zaph has measured one from that series and it was quite terrible.

I know in audio you get what you pay for, but try to imagine the point were i'm at, creating portable speakers to sell for a profit, even a small one, and with 30+30 dollars of tweeters plus another 30+ dollars for shipping, cuts dramatically the rest of my budget... :/

In your experience, what makes a tweeter like the ones you've mentioned good? what should i look for when choosing one?

Last edited:
I must say, very good sugestions for the price thank you :)

You know, I feel a little stupid saying this in a audiophyle forum, but I fell in love with the tweeters of the logitech z323 speaker system, the sub isn't great but the tweeters are just incredible, they even get down to the 60hz range due to their vent, and the 360 sound, It really gives perception, I might say their the best tweeters I have heard so far for thw price, wish I could get the tweeters from this system haha

I think you need to redefine the definition of tweeter in your vocabulary!

If you're going to be using a bass driver, like the Peerless, then presumably you are going to be putting a high pass on the full range drivers. This significantly reduces the demands that you might put on them.

The SB65 is still probably going to be your best bet for overall sound quality, but the fact it has the most impressive SD and Xmax, within that basket size, is made a little moot, if you can place a 100Hz high pass on them.

carlos - that might be a bit too boilerplate a spreadsheet formula upon which to design a well integrated system

tigox: can you perhaps provide a bit more context for the particular system's application? many forum members have a wide range of experience with all types of systems, and recommendations will be all over the map until you narrow the destination, so to speak

So.. I am developing a portable speaker system consisting of 2 to 4 full range speakers with a high pass to act as tweeters, anda 4 inch subwoofer, and the idea is to find a good full range speaker like the ones that have been sugested in this post, that provide good quality and clarity and also volume but keeping in mind the cost I.e sub 15 dollars for each speaker.

carlos - that might be a bit too boilerplate a spreadsheet formula upon which to design a well integrated system
Just thought it would help, since his only criteria are dimensions and for me it looks useful. :D

But do have a look at Visaton, they have very good products for a reasonable price. For example this portable loudspeaker use 12 fullrange units from Visaton and it is a big improvement from Ciare which was used before. But this is a costly loudspeaker it has a price over 2000 €/piece.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.