FE108EZ ( sigma ) mFonken build - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd July 2014, 10:06 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default FE108EZ ( sigma ) mFonken build

Hi Guys,

So I finally busted out the table saw and wood glue and put together some cabinets for my 108EZ drivers that I've had lying around forever.

I decided to go with a mFonken design found here:

http://p10hifi.net/FAL/downloads/Fon...map-311208.pdf

Originally I was going to go for the Metronomes but after wrestling with the decision I decided not to delude myself into thinking that a 4" driver was ever going to be truly "full range" especially being the bass hound that I am. I resigned to the notion of building a 'musical' fast sub crossed fairly high (~150hz)

Why did i buy some dang expensive 4" drivers you ask? Good question but I'm glad I did.

Attached is a picture of the partially completed cab's. Currently they're missing their damping material and driver braces. The tops and the baffles are only screwed in place. I'm planing on finishing them with veneer so I just glued and screwed everything which was probably a wise decision given my lack of clamps and patience..

Impressions:

WOW! once you dissolution yourself of the notion that these things are ever going move enough air to make real bass the joy of these little odd duckling's come out. They're still breaking in and getting substantially less 'shouty' as they do . Also keep in mind that the box is completely undamped so i'm probably getting some nasty resonances.

Even still, the detail that these puppies can produce in the midrange well into tweeter territory is stupendous. Acoustic guitar + vocals is magical, every grazing of the strings, quick breath, and enunciation is shockingly present. It's like you're in the studio beside the musicians.

Jazz is handled with ease until things get busy on the low end, I'm looking forward to eliminating that from their job description and free them up to do what they do best.

They're being powered by a Audiosector / Peter Daniel's LM4780 parallel kit at the moment. I'm planning on building a LM3875 for them and relegating the LM4780 to powering a big woofer, likely this offering from Vifa (Vifa NE315W-08 12"):

Vifa NE315W-08 12" Subwoofer Speaker
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140702_111028986_HDR[1].jpg (976.4 KB, 79 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!