FF85wk first impressions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th June 2014, 11:23 PM   #1
type is offline type  United States
diyAudio Member

Default FF85wk first impressions

Just received a pair of Fostex FF85wk. I put them into my little workhorse cabinets (sealed and stuffed) and at first play I could tell these are special. At first listen, straight out of the box, zero hours, I was hit with crystal clear clarity, followed immediately by an almost headphone like three dimensional presentation. Very impressive right off the bat.
Old 30th June 2014, 09:51 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

For a quick follow up, these have the perfect sensitivity to blend with the Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble IV passive "shoebox sub". Not sure what the exact crossover on that little sub is but it's quite high, making for good integration with the FF85wk. It's not home theater level bass by any means, but fills in nicely for music listening. I have the port "tuned" with some blue painters tape and a little poly to reduce the opening size and get rid of a bit of boominess and it works really well in a smaller room.
Old 30th June 2014, 10:53 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

It is a very nice little driver.
Old 1st July 2014, 12:40 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

In a Lance it's a fantastic driver
Old 1st July 2014, 01:25 AM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Certainly one of the favorites around here. I am just about to go XO round 2 on FF85wKeN in an MTM with Silver Flute MTM.

dave
Old 1st July 2014, 03:14 AM   #6
doorman is offline doorman  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Certainly one of the favorites around here. I am just about to go XO round 2 on FF85wKeN in an MTM with Silver Flute MTM.

dave
Hoping this creation will be singing up the mountain in August.
Sounds intriguing.
Old 18th July 2014, 02:25 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Just a quick follow up. With more time (guesetimating at about 100 hours now) they are getting noticeably better.

Could sealed with a high low frequency cut off (as I'm using them) be the best way to go with these little guys? These are truly the best 3 inch drivers I've ever had/heard. Very well composed even at a higher volume (and that goes for rock, punk, heavy music, etc.,...I listen to everything really; Jazz, classical, country........) and these guys really keep their composure. The high frequencies have the air and shimmer of a tweeter without any rough edginess at all.
Old 18th July 2014, 02:41 AM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by type View Post
Could sealed with a high low frequency cut off (as I'm using them) be the best way to go with these little guys?
Same way but with FF85 in a midTL might be better.

I've currentl got the FF85/SF W14 MTM in the main system, taking a 2nd crack at a passive XO.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!