Magnavox high flux curvlinear woofer 15" 25w loud speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello fellow audio loons,

I've got an old pair of Australian 3 way Kriesler speakers that are much too big for me to keep any longer. I've popped the back off them and the tweeter and midrange are closed back designs but the 15" woofer looks very nicely made :) Does anybody have any info, insight, ideas about these units?
I have a bunch of full range (8x tang band w3-871s and 4x cheap dai-chi 8" full rangers) drive units lying around begging for projects, would these bass units be any use to me? I believe they're late 60's?

This is a link to similar unit on ebay.

1 X Vintage Custom Magnavox High Flux Curvilinear Woofer 15 034 25W Loud Speaker | eBay

Cheers,

Keith

I have a pair of the very same.

Sound terrible in open baffle but will sound great in U or H box. Mine were in a box with 2x5" closed back high frequency drivers and were running full range with only a 4uF cap for the pair of HF. As a bass driver alone, get a purpose made one.
Alpha 15 for bass, the magnavox for mid-bass and an open back tweeter for HF in double U open baffle?

Thanks for getting back to me microdub.
Yeah, I opened up a crappy active sub I had lying around and powered one speaker from it whilst it was still in it's sealed original enclosure. The crappy 6'5 inch sub destroyed it, there was no comparison. I really just wanted to make sure I wasn't accidentally selling an old school gem.
So you've put them in a U and H box? Any pics? i thought those designs were for bass only, yet you suggest mid bass use? I probably don't have room for these no matter how I mount them :(

These are definately not a bass or sub speaker. I had them playing in the box they came in - with the back removed, so essentially a U box. From memory it was around 60x80x40cm (WxHxD). It had two 15 Ohm, 5" closed back high frequency drivers.
As I mentioned they were playing full range, and were pretty good at it (within obvious limitations and roll-off in high frequencies). I tried them in OB and the bottom just fell out of them.

If you decide to let them go, I may be interested. send me a PM.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.