which fullrange driver to cover 150hz to 4khz?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
which fullrange/extended range driver would be best suited to cover 150hz to 4khz, offering good performance over all genre's of music especially very complex layered styles.

in terms of character, dynamics and clarity are high on the want list.

to be house in sealed or open baffle

thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Easy one - Vifa TC9FD in sealed (3 to 5 liter good down to 200 Hz) or open baffle (12 in wide lets you XO at 250 Hz). Despite the low price it really does sound very clear and has an extremely smooth response.

Here is response in sealed:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/247598-nautaloss-ref-monitor-26.html#post3808837

402191d1393333563-3-4-driver-very-good-dispersion-high-xmax-nautaloss-ii-2-drivers-polar-1m.png

Here is response in OB:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/249984-cheap-fast-ob-literally.html

397654d1391479751-cheap-fast-ob-literally-slot-ob-meas-fullrange-only.png

You might look at Faital Pro 4FE35 too...

408692d1396005632-cheap-fast-ob-literally-harmonic-ob-15db.jpg

Last edited:
+1 on sonics, but yes, approx budget would be helpful to winnow the candidates to a short list.

in all honesty cost doesn't matter so much. i've spent an utter fortune trying to find 'my' sound. i've gone through 2,3 4 way speakers. small full-range, large full-range, 2 way with horn compression drivers, FAST system.

F.A.S.T was very close to what i wanted but didn't quite hit the spot, (12inch sub + mark audio CHR). The low end was nice and big but without the associated muddying of the midrange that a fullrange only does if the music got heavier. problem was it felt like it like dynamics were not existent compared to 8inch or bigger driver. i like that big sound stage feeling.

i've got an acoustic elegance 12m that will run the bottom end, i have a ribbon tweeter up top for highs, i now want a sweet midrange that covers enough of the listening spectrum that it still tricks my ears into thinking its fullrange. This happens to be approx 150-4khz for me. the actual crossover values i can play with via mini-dsp so i just need the best guess at a driver now to avoid more financial 'talks' with the wife.

I really like the midrange sound of the Fostex FE108E sigma.

For use down to 150Hz, the larger 168EZ or FE208EZ may be a better choice, but i have not heard those personally. I'd also consider the FF225WK and FF165WK, but they'd likely need the dustcaps covered with a felt disk to mesh with the ribbon tweeter. (I had to do this with the old FF125K to get it to play nice with a tweeter when used as a mid)

Large vs small mids is an interesting question. IME large mids definitely help dynamics, and to a certain degree are needed to get that musicians in the room with me illusion. Small mid/FR can sound very sweet and musical, and are sometimes more detailed on top. 6" may be good compromise based on your statements.

in all honesty cost doesn't matter so much. i've spent an utter fortune trying to find 'my' sound. i've gone through 2,3 4 way speakers. small full-range, large full-range, 2 way with horn compression drivers, FAST system.

F.A.S.T was very close to what i wanted but didn't quite hit the spot, (12inch sub + mark audio CHR). The low end was nice and big but without the associated muddying of the midrange that a fullrange only does if the music got heavier. problem was it felt like it like dynamics were not existent compared to 8inch or bigger driver. i like that big sound stage feeling.

i've got an acoustic elegance 12m that will run the bottom end, i have a ribbon tweeter up top for highs, i now want a sweet midrange that covers enough of the listening spectrum that it still tricks my ears into thinking its fullrange. This happens to be approx 150-4khz for me. the actual crossover values i can play with via mini-dsp so i just need the best guess at a driver now to avoid more financial 'talks' with the wife.

For 150Hz - 4kHz you don't need a fullrange driver. Pick a proper midrange driver, which is optimised for that frequency range. Take 8" or bigger, since you complain lack of dynamics.

Bohlender Graebener Neo 10's. Don't solder the tabs, though, and use a 4th order highpass.
Tried these with a large rear port Helmholtz tuned for 300 hz fluffing up of response.
These sound best on an open baffle, experiment with shallow u frame loading to find your best response.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.