Classic drive-in theater speakers converted to desktop PC speakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is a project I completed in May 2013 but finally got around to actually using today.

I've always liked the '50s deco design of classic drive-in theater speakers. Picked up a set in a style that I liked (Projected Sound of Plainfield, Indiana was the manufacturer) and pulled them apart. The most important part of this simple project was finding a full-range speaker element that fit, depth-wise. Luckily I was able to pull dimensions from one of the online retailer websites and found that a set of Kicker CS4 would fit perfectly and had the right bolt pattern.

My original idea was to use the post support bracket that the speakers would have hung from when not in use as the housing for a little T-class amplifier, drilling holes through for the knobs and connectors. That part sort of fell by the wayside as, in my final use on my desk, I'm already using a larger T-class amp that is hidden underneath.

Very pleasantly surprised at the sound. True vocals and midrange. Bass is crisp but less than the larger wood cabinet speakers I was using previously, which likely means the sound is more accurate rather than the wood cabinet coloring the sound.

Attachments

• DRIVEIN1.jpg
    DRIVEIN1.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 272
  • 40cs44.jpg
    40cs44.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 82
  • DRIVEIN9.jpg
    DRIVEIN9.jpg
    560.7 KB · Views: 97
  • DRIVEIN8.jpg
    DRIVEIN8.jpg
    557.3 KB · Views: 92
  • DRIVEIN7.jpg
    DRIVEIN7.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 94
  • DRIVEIN6.jpg
    DRIVEIN6.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 92
  • DRIVEIN5.jpg
    DRIVEIN5.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 249
  • DRIVEIN4.jpg
    DRIVEIN4.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 254
  • DRIVEIN3.jpg
    DRIVEIN3.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 258
  • DRIVEIN2.jpg
    DRIVEIN2.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:

GM

Joined 2003
Boy! That takes me back! Great use for them! :up:

Hidden somewhere around here I have some RCAs for doing a '50s era diner decor breakfast nook. At the rate the exterior property rehab is progressing though, I may never get it built. Sadly, the drivers are unsalvageable.

GM

I missed this thread. I like those. Great idea. Imagine 5 of those for a small surround sound setup.

I had originally envisioned them as rear surrounds until the wife nixed the idea for the living room. Nevertheless, mated with a small sub, I can imagine these would do fine as mains and surrounds.

If I were to let my imagination run with the idea of an art deco/mid-century look, it would be interesting to mate these with surrounds built from vintage microphones... which would already have their own floor stands if needed.

Attachments

• vintage_microphone_feature.png
    vintage_microphone_feature.png
    157.4 KB · Views: 54
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.