Why is the GPA 604-8H ii or iii not used more oftn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Another similar option (one that I am mulling over) is to build GM's 416 MLTL and add a 288C (or another CD i.e. Radian or B&C) in an Iwata horn with a helper tweeter (ribbon? or fostex bullet tweet?) to get that last bit. Check out Yuichi page for the Iwata. This obviously involves a lot more work with horns and crossovers but could be a killer combo if your room permits it.

Cheers
FM

GM

Joined 2003
Yeah, if I were to use a 604, it would be with a mid horn. Stanley Screamer did an ‘over the top’ stage monitor with dual 604s + mid horn. Way too much for the home, but proved the concept: http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/altec/catalogs/1979-screamer/page3.jpg

It spurred me on to try a 604E in a 825 [A7] cab first by itself and then with a 511/802/500 Hz on top and once EQ’d it was pretty awesome too; though again, even as a mono speaker it was a bit much even for a large, well finished basement.

GM

Another similar option (one that I am mulling over) is to build GM's 416 MLTL and add a 288C (or another CD i.e. Radian or B&C) in an Iwata horn with a helper tweeter (ribbon? or fostex bullet tweet?) to get that last bit. Check out Yuichi page for the Iwata. This obviously involves a lot more work with horns and crossovers but could be a killer combo if your room permits it.

Cheers
FM

Thanks for the info, I will check it out ;)
The best tweeter I ever heard is the Heil AMT. Never heard teh Fostex, but there are a lot of great reviews.
ESS Laboratories USA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.