OB woofers (vintage?) bass augmentation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey DIY Peeps!
I've played with several fostex and MA Drivers but have fallen hard for vintage Drivets in OB.
Not sure I can ever put a speaker in a box again!
I've spent far too much money and time looking for very good vintage midrange drivers that will run off a 2 watt 45 amp. I amp happy to report That there are many very high quality vintage Drivers that effortlessly produce the goosebump factor, and for peanuts!
Ofcourse the bass falls apart and is not consistent with the quality of the rest of the FR.
As much of a fan of vintage drivers as I am, and as much as I appreciate the most simplistic approach possible, I am thinking modern drivers are the way to supplement the low end? The obvious choices being Eminance alpha and beta drivers, the Hawthorne Auggies, and the AE dipoles and LO series, powered by an active XO and plate amp.
In hindsight this is the easiest approach but is the antithesis to a IT coupled / 45 amp and crossover free full range (not really) driver approach!
I would love to find a full vintage driver, passive XO approach but funds are limited after auditioning so many vintage full range drivers...
Are there any vintage woofers with comparable Xmas and quality oriented bass to modern woofers that are well received? Not looking for the most popular, but again maybe the underdog that excels at really magical and 3d bass.
I enjoy some audio potholes but the mid range saga was expensive, especially for a Frugalphile looking for underdogs!
The point being I'm looking for the most cost effective solution for quality OB bass to augment a flea powered OB driver.
I anticipate crossing these quite low, but again one of the advantages of a plate amp with active XO is that multiple scenarios can be tried easily and quickly.
Start here with modern woofer and active XO, and then work into a tube amp and passive eq solution?

Thanks for any and all responses / suggestions!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.