Minimalist surround setup - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th May 2014, 12:00 AM   #1
RobL is online now RobL  United States
diyAudio Member

Lightbulb Minimalist surround setup

I have a room in the house with a set of circumstances that essentially dictate my results. It's the main living room of the house which ends up being the main home theater area for movies. As our master bedroom shares part of one wall and my wife is often asleep while I'm watching a movie, the limitation on floor-rumbling sound is obvious. Likewise, the wife has vetoed any speakers of significant size. Just as well, my Mirage M1s and M3s happily live in my listening room.

So this means the living room lives with the mild-mannered Harman/Kardon AV254, front Infinity Reference 2000.4 2-ways, Klipsch center channel, and NHT sub. All stuff that feels like it belongs in a college dorm room but nevertheless works very well for the intended purpose.

What I've been wrestling with is the side/rear surrounds. First issue was no clean way to get wiring back there (wall openings on both sides and running wires through the floor and into the basement or up through the ceiling would be a last resort), sorted 90% satisfactorily with a Monoprice wireless speaker transmitter package.

Second issue, what speakers that aren't vetoed by the wife as huge or ugly. Knowing that surrounds simply need to fill in some ambience rather than be stand-alone glorious, and after a string of bookshelf speakers and stands which invariably did not look good, required too much power that the Monoprice amp could not supply, or presented a tip-over hazard for our little dogs, I may have stumbled across an ideal package.

Starting with a simple generic pole stand, my absolute minimalist solution consists of nothing more than a pair of Dayton Audio 3" reference drivers at 4 ohms, part number RS75-4, attached to the stands by nothing more than their magnet. No enclosure whatsoever. The speakers are positioned close to a 135 degree corner for some reflection.

Having very low expectations in the first place naturally guaranteed satisfaction, but the truth is that I am actually impressed at the results given the utter simplicity. The tiny wireless amp drives them well and frequencies of voice and above are crisp and clean.

I know this setup seems absolutely silly, and as a 28-year veteran of appreciating and configuring high-end arrays, I would laugh at the idea if I read about it from some guy on the internet. Yet here I am, likely at a point where I'll stop messing around with alternate solutions.

See pics and please share your thoughts.

- Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (222.1 KB, 437 views)

Last edited by RobL; 27th May 2014 at 02:35 AM.
Old 27th May 2014, 12:50 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
While it is a very straightforward "solution", actually well thought out, how about this..
Being as these "fill" drivers, they will be doing just the echo effect, you are really only going to get very high frequencies...as the drivers have no baffles whatsoever. How about going to a Home depot & getting two of those 12" by 12", 1/4" thick wooden tiles??? Carve the appropriate size holes, mount the drivers from the back, stretch some fabric & voila! Being as those tiles weigh virtually nothing, the magnet should hold them up just fine. The drivers will propagate lower frequencies far far better.......otherwise I think they will just be "hissing" at you.

__________________________________________________ __Rick.........
Old 27th May 2014, 01:39 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Rick, that's a great idea. I am getting more than hiss, but will admit that it does get a bit thin below vocal range. I will experiment with your suggestion.

I couldn't upload more than one pic in my initial post, here's another view.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (264.0 KB, 417 views)
Old 27th May 2014, 01:40 AM   #4
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

The simple fact is any sort of sensible sealed rear enclosure
will improve matters dramatically, here about 1L stuffed,
given Vas is specified as 0.31L, over raw open baffle.

http://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/...ions-46834.pdf

Its very arguable as rears whether to fix the broad presence
peak without off axis responses and diffraction effects
taken into account in the modelling.

FWIW that is nowhere near a corner in any real sense.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited by sreten; 27th May 2014 at 01:50 AM.
Old 28th May 2014, 09:30 PM   #5
Squeak is offline Squeak  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Bolt a foamcore square to the driver (I know X would approve ;-) and wrap it in felt in a tastefull colour, wallpaper or paint it in the same colour as the wall.
Or use acrylic if you are confident the base can support the weight.
It won't get you any real bass but still much more substantial sound with a minimum of effort.
Old 28th May 2014, 10:10 PM   #6
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

. Yes, I definitely approve! Make the driver offset from center or use a non square shape so that no two edges are same distance to reduce baffle diffraction. A Fibonacci spiral works well and looks cool. A 12 in wide baffle can get your bass to roll off closer to 300 Hz rather than 800 Hz to 1 kHz where it is now as bare driver.
Old 29th May 2014, 03:35 AM   #7
Squeak is offline Squeak  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Or, if you want to get fancy, a star pattern. It will look close to the ideal halfspere to the driver.
Old 29th May 2014, 01:08 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

These are some great suggestions, thanks. I'll put something together and try it out.
Old 1st June 2014, 03:56 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

My freehand Fibonacci spiral, a cardboard mockup to experiment. Made it fit the speaker cage snugly so that attachment hardware is not required. Mounted it behind as it is light enough and looks better.

I am pleasantly surprised at the results so far! Honestly, even more than I expected. Switching back and forth between 2-channel and 4-channel stereo (what I prefer for music and most movies) makes the improvement very apparent. Now the rear has body and fullness below vocals.

More experimenting to come. Thanks again for the suggestions!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.jpg (531.4 KB, 253 views)
Old 1st June 2014, 06:08 PM   #10
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Nice experiment! I did something similar here:
Open baffle Nautilus: the Fibonacci solution to edge diffraction

Hide this!Advertise here!