Minimalist surround setup

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Are you saying that upward-firing speakers would be preferred over ceiling-mounted speakers?

If your ceiling is not flat they say that you have no choice but to use upward-firing speakers (on top of your existing ones, or the properly designed Atmos speakers; at least for your two front mains, and preferably two more for your surrounds). ...It's called a 5.1.2 D Atmos system, or a 5.1.4 Dolby Atmos system.
...The five main channels (L-C-R-RS-LS), the subwoofer channel (.1 LFE), and the two or four Dolby Atmos speakers (overhead @ the ceiling, or firing upward).

The 5.1.2 system is the minimum requirement (very simple), and from there you can expand up to 24 main speakers, and ten more overhead ones. ...The number of subwoofers is proportional to your room's size and preferred desire.
So @ home someone would be able to create a 24.8.10 Dolby Atmos system; in a rather large room of course.

In some theaters they use more; 64 main speakers, 16 overhead ones, and roughly 8 subwoofers (or more). ...Smaller theaters: 32.4.8 ...Home (smallest): 5.1.2

* Me, I'll be aiming for 7.2.4 @ least, and perhaps 9.2.4

Life is very short; I want to have fun.

I'd be inclined myself towards ceiling mounts - PITA factor notwithstanding. - but of course I'm not sure if any the domestic equipment has reached the market or even been demonstrated in specialty retail showrooms?

CEDIA (September) will have much more info with demos.
And them new receivers with Dolby Atmos decoder/processors; they are coming this fall. ...And from Onkyo/Integra (receivers and surround sound processors), from Denon/Marantz, from Pioneer, from Yamaha, and from more manufacturers to follow.

Also coming this fall; Blu-ray movies encoded with Dolby Atmos, and compatible with our existing BD players.

There is a lot of information flying everywhere; on all audio/video forums of the Internet. It's really on :flame: :fire:

I realize that this is Rob's thread, and I don't want to impede too much.
If Rob has questions it is my great pleasure to oblige.

The traffic here @ diyAudio is moderate, so Rob's direction will dictate if I should start a separate thread, with enough people interested.

I'll take it one day @ a time...

I realize that this is Rob's thread, and I don't want to impede too much.
If Rob has questions it is my great pleasure to oblige.

Not impeding whatsoever! I am fascinated and excited by this new development. I love surround sound when appropriate and 2-channel for purity sessions.

It will be interesting to see how the mainstream home Atmos systems are executed; I imagine that most will be the 7.2.4 with the upsell to 9.2.4, of course.

I would think that once you're doing an in-ceiling installation, 4 is just as easy as 2. Heck, 6 or 8 isn't much harder. Already in the attic, already running wires, already cutting holes. Might as well commit all the way, right?

Got around to the last few details on this today, bolting the speakers to the cardboard and adding a bit of stuffing as recommended.

Black oxide hex head cap screws in 3mm with matching nuts and plastic washers acquired. Tiny holes in cardboard made by sticking a needle through repeatedly to weaken it so the cap screws could be pushed through.

Stuffing for these little boxes was on-hand in the form of three sheets of paper towel each.

Considering that the speaker elements were wedged into the holes to start with, I was pleasantly surprised at the improvement from a proper seal. A/B between one finished and one not yet touched, the difference was remarkable; fuller mid- and low-range, less raspy.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 64
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 64
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    146.8 KB · Views: 62
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.