The Quick, Cheap and Dirty Speaker Challenge

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have some loft board which could qualify and some 2 way car speakers I've had in the loft for a while..

Is using a jig saw allowed.. or can I only use these loft boards whole :)...

If only whole it may have to be an open baffle with loft board sides and FC centres to hold the drive units .. May make nice garden speakers for the summer..

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Another entry in foam core - back loaded, rear firing, floor standing horn

This may remind you of another certain speaker, which I have been banned from mentioning by name since it deviates significantly from the speaker which it pays homage to...

I will enter this speaker as it took about 6 hrs and costs under $20.

323295d1357966447-fh3-inspired-foam-core-mini-build-foam-fh3i-01.jpg

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/227460-fh3-inspired-foam-core-mini-build.html

Cornucopya's don't qualify, but the Penthorns do if you don't count the two cuts at the top of the baffle wood to make the point. I won the CSS woofers in a raffle Creative Sound - Product Details, the tweeters were a gift that look to be automotive in nature, there are no binding posts, the insulation came from the attic, the wire I took from a toaster cable, the caps came from someones computer, the coils are old transformers, the baffle wood are cut offs from a Cornu. Total cost is the $1 raffle ticket plus things like half an old tube of caulk, a few pennies of wood glue and some glue sticks, so less than the $20 limit. :)

EDIT: I guess I cut the holes in the baffles for the drivers with power tools also. Damn, I thought this was going to be a darn good entry. Also, you don't say it has to be FR drivers but this is the FR forums so... :bawling:

Attachments

• IMG_1233.jpg
    IMG_1233.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 307
  • IMG_1252.jpg
    IMG_1252.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 295
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Cal,
I think your Pentahorn entry probably is a leading contender at this point. Although it really is front loaded with some premium "free" drivers. :) to make your submission complete, another video posting of how it sounds would be awesome. The last one you posted of the big RS 40-1354 Cornu was great. Really enjoyed that.
X

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.