Alpair 10.2: which enclosure?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Also what about differences between Alpair 10.1(?) and 10.2 resp. 10.3? I presume the original ones would be considered 10.1 which is what I have on hand.

Mark made significant improvements over the A10.1 with the A10.2. A10.3 (what is available now) made further improvements in smoothness at the top and with efficiency (at the sacrifice of some bass extension).

But you have A10.1, might as well build something with it.

You may well find the big boxes to have excessive bass in the corner, a stand-mount (shelf-sitter) might be better suited.

I am partial to the Mar-Ken (Frugal-phile | Box Library / Mark Audio)

dave

Peter - you might want to consider Dave's compact floorstander for 10.3 - official full name on my drawings dated May 15, 2014 is Trapezoid flooorstander MarKen10.3

Just to make sure I understand. You are suggesting to lay them flat on the top? I can't put anything in front since there are drawers and such that would be blocked and I can't move things out far enough to avoid that blockage issue. They gotta go on top...

But you have A10.1, might as well build something with it.

Right. I am not prepared to throw them out. Though maybe Mark will give me a trade-in credit... :)

You may well find the big boxes to have excessive bass in the corner, a stand-mount (shelf-sitter) might be better suited.

Because of furniture and such constraints, they have to go on top of the shelf. No way around that. And yes, something tuned to extend very low may be too much with the corner loading. So the BR, GR, or Marken may well be the right way to go.

:) Do you have a version for the 10.1 or should I just ignore the difference for purposes of this alignment with 10.2 or 10.3?

I concur w/ Dave that if you put speakers on that shelf & in the corner, you are going to need lots of EQ to fix the bass issues. Were it my problem, I think I would use something like FF85wk micro-Fonkens (no low freqs below 90-100 Hz, use a filter to cut the bass to them) and put a small sub on the floor somewhere. I know this limits max SPL, but for me, I prefer quality over quantity.

I have a pair of older FF85k in the kitchen located on a shelf near the ceiling. Other speakers w/ response down to 60 Hz had boomy bass in that spot, but the micro-Fonkens sound near perfect.

Cheers, Jim

Peter - I obviously scanned your entire post too quickly and missed your comment about placement issues - definitely one of the smaller enclosures should be on your short list.

The 10.1's were quite renown for their prodigious bass - or shelved upper-mids & top-end, depending on how you want to look at it. In addition to a certain amount of tuning that can be achieved by enclosure size, you'll likely still need some EQ to tame them when placed near the corners.

While I couldn't agree more with Jim about the FF85WK (or perhaps 105WK) - you have the Alpairs in hand, and there's gotta be a way to make them work.

Last edited:
Peter - you might want to consider Dave's compact floorstander for 10.3 - official full name on my drawings dated May 15, 2014 is Trapezoid flooorstander MarKen10.3

They have a very compact footprint of approx 8"Wx7 1/2" D x 31" tall (depending on feet / pads used), and with a 5 dg tilt to front baffle, give a nice "launch" in a small space. I have a pair with tuning for A10P, along with coordinating centre channel, in my small 5.1 system. Room is 16x23ft, and main listening position is at 10ft

Second photo shows contrast to profile of Pensil 7.3

do you have a diagram for the "Trapezoid flooorstander" ?
thanks

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Yes, full drawings are part of the paid planset subscription.

This one has Pluvia 7 in it, but is the same size as that for the Alpair 10.3. The big ones for Alpair 10p/10.2 and FF165wk are simply wider.

CFS-MKp7-extents.gif

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.