Frugel-Horn XL for Fostex Fe 168eZ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good morning,

now i can start to build my new speakers.

I was waiting ca. 7 weeks for my wooden parts:mad:. before 5 days came the parcelservice, but the company who saw my wooden parts, was making sh...
I try to bring some photos here,
the first home of the fe 168ez

after this i was trying a fast

her the first pics from the new building and you will see the mistake from thecompany who make the wooden parts
start building

first soundcheck

frugel-test1.jpg
frugel-test2.jpg

i made some sliceson the corners it will hoply works and after furnishing, it will be ok. Otherways i have to made a second front.
how to make the pics in bigger sice?
I will let you know for the next steps.

ps: sorry my for bad english.

Last edited:
Good morning,

@scotmosoe, @planet10
you can see , the speaker was standing on a bad place, but anyway the sound was good. He has make´s his job well.

I think, when the 2. is ready, i can tell you more about the sound. At the moment the speakers have to play with an old "marantz pm66 se". Next month, i hope so i will get a new tube-amp. It will be an OPERA AUDIO Cyber 100S with 4 300b Tubes.:)

It is time to ease these into full release.

The plans are pretty much ready to go. Like the FH3 we (Scott, Chris, andmyself) get no monetary benefit from these. Donate a minimum of $10 to diyAudio.com and send me your receipt and i'll get you the URL for the planset.

dave

Thanks Dave! I'll do it. I trust that the FHXLs are one of the best to house the 168Sigmas.

Being unconscionably lazy about diarizing impressions of every commercial and DIY speaker I've heard in the past dozen or so years since reawakening my audio hobby ( must be in the hundreds), I can't remember whether the 168Sigma was among them. If so, it's performance wasn't striking enough that I couldn't live without a pair.

LF and SPL limitations of the smaller units notwithstanding, of the over dozen Fostex FR units I have heard or owned, I've always preferred the 3 -4" models to any of the 6" - perhaps the new FF165WK being the notable exception.

At approx 1/2 the cost of the FE168Sigma, I can see the Alpair10P as offering excellent value, and can attest firsthand that it works very well in the XL.

I heard the Sigma drivers in an unfinished DIY BVR alignment. The detail and imaging were stunning. The not-yet-quite-good frequency response wasn't annoying. But I admit I like paper sound somewhat.

Very encouraging. More details? Thanks.

Without getting subjective here, IMO EnAbled FE168Sigmas in any enclosure which provides sufficient Low-End and opens up the mids (micro-details) would be a stunner.

Good morning,

I think in the end of thes week the speakers will be ready for testing in stereo and i will let you know how they works in the Frugels. I´m think :D:D;)

I made a lot speakers (Backloaded Horns) with this chassis. not all for my own and nobody will give them away again.

Maybe I will try to make the Top of the front like Ron´s horn.

peter

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.