Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Frugel-Horn XL for Fostex Fe 168eZ
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th April 2014, 07:17 PM   #11
planet10 is online now planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Jayaraj View Post
Thanks Dave! I'll do it. I trust that the FHXLs are one of the best to house the 168Sigmas.
We have no idea yet. FHxl was not designed for them, only pehajope has been brave enuff to experiment, we await his verdict.

dave
Old 26th April 2014, 06:20 AM   #12
Samuel Jayaraj is offline Samuel Jayaraj  India
diyAudio Member

Dave, thanks for that info! I have been confounded for a long time as to why other than the BIB, no cabinet has been optimally designed for the Fostex 168Sigmas and all are only adaptations of enclosures designed for other 6.5" FR drivers, including Austin.
Old 27th April 2014, 02:37 PM   #13
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The 168 has never been the most popular of Fostex's drivers. Still sells, but never in large numbers, presumably due to the price.
Old 27th April 2014, 06:02 PM   #14
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Being unconscionably lazy about diarizing impressions of every commercial and DIY speaker I've heard in the past dozen or so years since reawakening my audio hobby ( must be in the hundreds), I can't remember whether the 168Sigma was among them. If so, it's performance wasn't striking enough that I couldn't live without a pair.

LF and SPL limitations of the smaller units notwithstanding, of the over dozen Fostex FR units I have heard or owned, I've always preferred the 3 -4" models to any of the 6" - perhaps the new FF165WK being the notable exception.

At approx 1/2 the cost of the FE168Sigma, I can see the Alpair10P as offering excellent value, and can attest firsthand that it works very well in the XL.
Old 27th April 2014, 07:06 PM   #15
Ivo is offline Ivo  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I heard the Sigma drivers in an unfinished DIY BVR alignment. The detail and imaging were stunning. The not-yet-quite-good frequency response wasn't annoying. But I admit I like paper sound somewhat.
Old 28th April 2014, 07:18 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
At approx 1/2 the cost of the FE168Sigma, I can see the Alpair10P as offering excellent value, and can attest firsthand that it works very well in the XL.
"Works very well in the XL" - is it the Alpair10P or the Fostex FE168Sigmas that you are referring to? Thanks.
Old 28th April 2014, 07:23 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivo View Post
I heard the Sigma drivers in an unfinished DIY BVR alignment. The detail and imaging were stunning. The not-yet-quite-good frequency response wasn't annoying. But I admit I like paper sound somewhat.
Very encouraging. More details? Thanks.

Without getting subjective here, IMO EnAbled FE168Sigmas in any enclosure which provides sufficient Low-End and opens up the mids (micro-details) would be a stunner.
Old 28th April 2014, 08:14 AM   #18
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Jayaraj View Post
"Works very well in the XL" - is it the Alpair10P or the Fostex FE168Sigmas that you are referring to? Thanks.
The 10P (which is the baseline unit it was designed for, though the 168 should work quite well).
Old 28th April 2014, 08:32 AM   #19
pehajope is offline pehajope  Germany
diyAudio Member

Good morning,

I think in the end of thes week the speakers will be ready for testing in stereo and i will let you know how they works in the Frugels. Iīm think

I made a lot speakers (Backloaded Horns) with this chassis. not all for my own and nobody will give them away again.

Maybe I will try to make the Top of the front like Ronīs horn.

peter

Last edited by pehajope; 28th April 2014 at 08:44 AM.
Old 28th April 2014, 09:57 AM   #20
Assesears is offline Assesears  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Scott/Dave

Would the old Fe168Sigma work in the FHXL, presume alterations though.

The one with the whizzer.

Regards
Bruce

Last edited by Assesears; 28th April 2014 at 10:00 AM.

Frugel-Horn XL for Fostex Fe 168eZHide this!Advertise here!