Planning to build Kirishima or Vulcan - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th April 2014, 11:54 PM   #1
2sounds is offline 2sounds  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Planning to build Kirishima or Vulcan

Hey all,
I've been reading your site for months and now joined. Thanks for all you guys do here. I will start my first speaker build with the Fostex fe206en. Second build will be with my son in a month or two.
Questions are:
1. is there anything to add or update on the current plans for the Kirishima using 18mm ply from the frugal-horn site? I am using 18mm BB so just wanted to ask before I start cutting.
So before I start cutting I am intrigued by the Vulcan design also. Except the curved back which seems a bit daunting. I do have a buddy that has built before so that helps. Is there any preference Vulcan vs Kirishima?
Sorry had to ask. I have a dedicated listening room with acoustic panels and some diffusion. The room is 22ft wide x 25ft long x 10ft high. Currently my speakers are about 8 ft into room and chair is about 8 ft in front of speakers. I have a somewhat unusual problem in that I need to have the speakers at least 5 ft from the front wall so I can access my turntable which is mounted to the wall.
Perhaps it wouldn't be a good idea also to have the bass coming out the back in front of the turntable. I may have just figured that I shouldn't consider the Vulcan while typing. Not sure. The sound is moving around anyway.
The question after the rambling is
Does the Vulcan plan include a layout for 18mm ply?
Thanks
Eric
Old 10th April 2014, 04:20 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I built the kirishima ( 2 pairs) mainly for the ease of build. They are a great sounding speaker, that is fairly easy to build. Don't know about the vulcan
Old 10th April 2014, 08:11 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I have to be careful since I charge a small sum for one, and I'm not here to sell things but as a DIYer. However, re the questions:

-Yes, the Vulcan planset is drawn in several popular sheet material thicknesses, including 18mm

-It is technically the superior design. If it wasn't, I wouldn't charge for it. However, the slight caveat it that it is intended for boundary loading. If your cabinets need to be pulled at least 5ft away from boundaries, you won't get as much help on that score. Some may still actually prefer that, but IMO Kirishima would probably be better suited given that particular condition.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 10th April 2014 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10th April 2014, 12:54 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thank you both for the input. I will plan to go with Kirishima plan. I hope to post some pics. It's been encouraging to get into the diy speaker building encouraged by a friend and you guys. I hope to do same for others.
Old 10th April 2014, 02:06 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Good. That's what it's about.
Old 16th April 2014, 05:44 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to martinab2 Send a message via MSN to martinab2 Send a message via Yahoo to martinab2
Good luck with your project. I built a pair of Kirishimas last year and am really pleased with the sound. Construction wasn't difficult but you do need to get the cutting as accurate as possible if they are going to seal properly. If you haven't built horns before then get lots of clamps (preferably the kind you can operate with one hand). I needed eight for the sides.
Fostex full range drivers don't sound great straight out of the box. They are ok after a few days of use but it takes months to run them in properly. Planet 10 phase plugs are a worthwhile upgrade as is glueing felt and and damping material to the metal baskets.
Old 16th April 2014, 08:09 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Construction wasn't difficult but you do need to get the cutting as accurate as possible if they are going to seal properly.
Indeed I recommend to make a cutting plan for all the panels out of a big sheet so that many of them are guaranteed to have the same width, much like is done in the official Fostex enclosure designs.

Don't underestimate: the Kirishimas will look massive in your living room, so far in front of the wall.

As a less massive alternative,a German diy magazine tried and measured the FE206E in the enclosure of the FE208EZ. It was in fact better in the bass than the classic official FE206E enclosure, and it looks quite a bit better as well.

Another alternative, if you don't have the speakers in hand yet, are the Markaudio A12P in SuperPensil enclosure. To my taste they sound a level more refined than the FE206En.
Old 16th April 2014, 10:12 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Not much of a surprise (re the magazine findings). I've been suggesting that the 206 can be used in the 208ESigma horn for the best part of a decade, here & elsewhere, with superior results to the cabinet nominally recommended for the 206. For a while it was quite a popular option (in the context of relatively small back-horns for the 206). There are several threads where I did some comparative models of the different cabinets to illustrate this. I believe Puffin did a writeup in AffordableAudio back in June '07 on his build.
Old 16th April 2014, 05:05 PM   #9
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

+1 to talaert's closing sentence in above post - even though the Pensils or Avebury for 12P are not tiny boxes, the former are certainly a much simpler build than either of the BLH designs, and refined / nuanced would certainly be a good description for the salient difference between the Fostex and Alpair drivers (actually across the current entire FExx6 line, IMO)
Old 14th May 2014, 12:24 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Just an update. I picked up some new BB plywood yesterday and have also decided to go with the Vulcan design. After completing the build I can rearrange my gear to get them 1/4 - 1/8 loaded. I have 2 record shelves that are mounted to the wall probably in the exact spot the Vulcans will want to live. Or I may use them as a pseudo wall. Time will tell. Thanks Scott for the prompt delivery of the Vulcan plans. I made the first cuts yesterday to cut down the 4x8 and cut the sides and rough cut the front with the circular saw. The width cuts will all be done with a table saw.

Hide this!Advertise here!