Opinions on the best small paper cone full range driver above 400 hz? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th April 2014, 02:40 AM   #11
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Having the ability to audition many drivers is not something I or many others have. Certainly if you have access to 50 drivers that is great, and the Vifa is on your list for a listening soon I suppose. Surprised that you have not listened to one yet. That will be great to get feedback on it compared to say the FF85wk or the A6 or A7.
Old 8th April 2014, 03:49 AM   #12
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

Dave,

Post that picture of all your speakers that you posted a month or so back, just to give people an idea.

Best Regards,
Terry
Old 8th April 2014, 04:18 AM   #13
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

In the 1st post here.Just too much stuff, almost giving it away, part 2

dave
Old 8th April 2014, 08:58 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
What are those dot things on the cones called? I've read about them before but can't recall the name of it? I heard it's a good thing do you agree Dave?
Old 8th April 2014, 09:10 AM   #15
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradeldorf View Post
What are those dot things on the cones called? I've read about them before but can't recall the name of it? I heard it's a good thing do you agree Dave?
EnABL. Yes, i think it is a good thing.

dave
Old 8th April 2014, 05:16 PM   #16
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

and that's a conversation during which the polemics can easily surpass anything likely to be encountered in a thread constrained to the opening topic of this one

FOR ME - smooth /flat response measures over which many folks lust - particularly when assisted by filters/EQ and more so in multi-ways - can easily work against the system's emotional impact. As with any sensory perception, we don't all experience / react to the same stimulus in exactly the same way - differences that even 10,000 hrs or more won't ameliorate.

Having heard more than a few system in my 50+ years of active listening, I'll take a slightly colored / technically flawed system / performance that connects me to the emotion of the music. For example, as technically wonderful a vocalist as she was, Ella leaves me rather wanting something ineffable, while Sarah Vaughn just drips with juice, so to speak.
Old 9th April 2014, 02:36 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Can I throw this 3" into the mix? A very unusual little driver.

http://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/...ions-47068.pdf

I'd noted it a few years back, then completely forgotten about it. The plot looks pretty good, not too shabby at all
Old 9th April 2014, 03:32 AM   #18
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Bill, the 4" sibling is quite a decent performer- certainly no slouch in the LF department ( as I heard in the cut little Deckertian DNA horn), but for my taste not quite as nuanced in the upper mid- top end range as A7.3
Old 9th April 2014, 08:46 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
EnABL. Yes, i think it is a good thing.

dave
Yeah that's it, Okay I found the thread on it and am going to read up on it as I forgot what it actually does. Thanks.

Last edited by cradeldorf; 9th April 2014 at 08:50 AM.
Old 9th April 2014, 11:39 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Bill, the 4" sibling is quite a decent performer- certainly no slouch in the LF department ( as I heard in the cut little Deckertian DNA horn), but for my taste not quite as nuanced in the upper mid- top end range as A7.3
Thanks Chris. I've just had a look at Tang band's charts. What I like about the smaller version is that above 1khz, dips and rises are pretty much all in the right place. Just needs to be toe'd in a little perhaps. Scant info from users but there's a chap from Norway that used these in a Tabaq and said the sound was 'amazing'.
The only drawback is that phase plug thingy - I doubt it helps off axis response, but I imagine its useful for keeping the VC cool.

Hide this!Advertise here!