Mid range to Full Range Conversion. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th April 2014, 10:36 AM   #1
srkhan is offline srkhan  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to srkhan Send a message via Yahoo to srkhan Send a message via Skype™ to srkhan
Default Mid range to Full Range Conversion.

I simply want to extend the cutoff range down so that the satellites become full range speakers. I understand the mid-woofer thingies might not perform very well below the cutoff range (very small speakers anyway) but I'm really just curious and want to mess around.

I've been doing some reading on crossovers this morning and opened up the speakers to examine the crossover circuit...I'm a bit confused as to which kind of crossover circuit this is...and what I need to change out in order to extend the mid-woofers range to lower frequencies.

After looking at the crossover PCB, it looks like this is the circuit. I apologize for my lack of ms paint and schematic skills lol...the stars are the inductors...unknown inductance.....and I have no idea what the rectangle thing is...it says 10w6ΩJ on it.

The woofer is 8ohm and tweeter is 4 ohm. Thanks in advance, if nothing else I just want to understand this basic passive crossover.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sat_no_grill2.jpg (25.9 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg sat1-s.jpg (13.0 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg sat3-s.jpg (31.9 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg img4415b.jpg (104.4 KB, 149 views)
File Type: png 99288358.png (7.7 KB, 144 views)
Old 5th April 2014, 10:44 AM   #2
Mayuri is offline Mayuri  Finland
diyAudio Member

It is an resistor capable of handling 10W of power through it. To me it seems like there is just a 2nd order low-pass filter for bass, 1st order high-pass for tweeter and a notch filter in there.
Old 5th April 2014, 10:46 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to srkhan Send a message via Yahoo to srkhan Send a message via Skype™ to srkhan
which one to remove for full-range out put?
Old 5th April 2014, 11:26 AM   #4
Dr_EM is offline Dr_EM  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Remove and short out (2 links) the 200uF cap and 'inductor of ?' parts so that + input connects directly to woofer +.

200uF + 16uF in series is only (1/(1/200)+1/16)) = 14.8uF, so it shifts the tweeter crossover down a bit but it shouldn't be an issue. You can blow those woofers easily with low bass though!
Old 5th April 2014, 11:29 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

That schematic is wrong somewhere...
Old 5th April 2014, 11:31 AM   #6
adason is offline adason  United States
diyAudio Member

Why two of these threads? Mods?
Old 6th April 2014, 03:46 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Inductors block high frequency's and caps block low frequency's. So you won't want a cap on the Low frequency woofer. Odds are it's built to optimize the setup but if you just want to play technically all you need is a cap on the tweeter so you don't destroy it with low frequency's Have fun.
Old 7th April 2014, 04:07 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

As I said in the other parallel thread ( in Multy-Way forum) the 200 uF cap
is not to be seen as a high pass component, but it is conformed together with the speaker and the box.
Maybe you would want to hear it from some autorithy, Mr Neville as in JAES Volume 58 Issue 7/8 pp. 577-582; July 2010
"Adding a series capacitor to a closed-box loudspeaker modestly extends the low-frequency response, enabling the use of a smaller enclosure. In addition, the capacitor offers substantial protection against excessive voice-coil excursions from subsonic input signals. The capacitor converts a second-order system to third order."
Old 7th April 2014, 05:12 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Can i insert a "port Tube" for better result? where to insert? front side? or Back side?
Old 7th April 2014, 05:24 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

If you allow the woofers to play "lower" they need more air on the back, so a total remake of the enclosure. I see that the woofer is easily detatchable from the panel with the 4 screws, but I bet the tweeter is glued in place
You could start with an easy design such as The Metronome.
Or you can attach the whole plastic baffle to a bigger enclosure.
The actual one just fits for the crossover+ woofer as they are, and more precisely the subwoofer + satellites response + the electronics.

Hide this!Advertise here!