low cost line aray

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
can i simply install eight [8 ohm] full range drivers on an open baffle and wire them to still be an 8 ohm load ?.I use a McIntosh pre amp and a dynac tube amp with my klipsch lascala . I am new to this forum but I bought a pair of full range drivers from West Germany and they sound amazing in just cardboard boxes!with very little power , the vocals are incredible .so needless to say i want to do something.the drivers i have are very old and i have no idea of there specs so i am just going to put them in some old boxes i have.the reason i asked about open baffle is i heard these old pioneers with an 18"x23" woofer and a small horn and they were interesting.thank you for any help you may have.please excuse my horrible typing and spelling.

Um, actually the more drivers, the greater the sensitivity, but I love the idea of turning up the power. :smash:

6.5" is too large. The spacing C to C means the comb filtering (read: cancellation and a rather strange effect) will make it undesirable. If you want line a array, think small drivers, spaced very closely and the addition of a helper woofer.

Um, actually the more drivers, the greater the sensitivity, but I love the idea of turning up the power. :smash:
Thanks for the clarification Cal. :) So if I send a watt to one speaker it's loud but if I send 1 watt to 4 speakers it's even louder right? so even though the watt is divided between the 4 drivers the amperage stays the same? Sorry I suck at electricity other than I know not to stick my finger in a light socket ..or pee on an electric fence. :D

Last edited:
Thank you .Is there a driver that can be used in a line array and not use an Eq I realy like the concept of no crossover for all the mids and highs and I do have a sub Its an 18" JBL 2245 H and its crossed over at 50 cycles.I have 500 watt amp for it and have probably never used more than a very few watts. I didnt want to have to get anymore electronics if possible .

Thanks for the clarification Cal. :) So if I send a watt to one speaker it's loud but if I send 1 watt to 4 speakers it's even louder right? so even though the watt is divided between the 4 drivers the amperage stays the same? Sorry I suck at electricity other than I know not to stick my finger in a light socket ..or pee on an electric fence. :D

On the second page of my first link, look at the right most column. It is the increased spl for the amount of drivers used in an array.

arrayimpedance-revised

Thank you .Is there a driver that can be used in a line array and not use an Eq I realy like the concept of no crossover for all the mids and highs and I do have a sub Its an 18" JBL 2245 H and its crossed over at 50 cycles.I have 500 watt amp for it and have probably never used more than a very few watts. I didnt want to have to get anymore electronics if possible .

If you are using 2" or 3" drivers in your array, chances are you will need a sub if you like to listen to music with some bass in it, or for movies. Also, there will be some cancellations, but if your listening place is around 3m or more from your array, as long as you keep your head inside the column height, it should be fine.

But if you can, EQ will bring out the magic in the arrays.

If you are using a computer to play your music, you could add some EQ easily, and you wouldn't need an extra piece of gear.

So if I send a watt to one speaker it's loud but if I send 1 watt to 4 speakers it's even louder right? s
Basically everytime you double the radiating area, you increase by 3 dB. So if you have 4 drivers in a series/parallel alignment all facing the same direction, retaining the original impedance, you would gain 6 dB. Due to cancellations, it won't be quite that but in theory that's what you get.

I realy like the concept of no crossover for all the mids and highs

Well, you don't want overlap between the woofer and line array so you would want at the very least a cap on the line array to remove the bottom end. That allows for a higher power handling and lower driver excursion which often means lower distortion so there's no reason to avoid that.

I realy like the concept of no crossover for all the mids and highs

Well, you don't want overlap between the woofer and line array so you would want at the very least a cap on the line array to remove the bottom end. That allows for a higher power handling and lower driver excursion which often means lower distortion so there's no reason to shy away from that.

If your doing an OB, you will need to compensate for the bass rolloff below the dipole peak. With a line array ,it will be somewhat less than 6db/oct though. The directivity index of the line will be dropping somewhat over the freq where the CtC spacing equals one wavelength. This will necessitate boosting the high end above this point to keep up with the higher efficiency bandwidth of the line. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.