Car or home speakers for portable boom box - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd April 2014, 08:57 PM   #1
andysam is offline andysam  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Car or home speakers for portable boom box

I have heard multiple people state that car speakers would not make a good portable boom box. Why? If the sensitivity is high (91), and the amp can handle 4ohms, why not? Wouldn't the construction of car speakers (rubber) make them last longer when moved around so much (like on a boat/beach)?
Old 3rd April 2014, 09:00 PM   #2
andysam is offline andysam  United States
diyAudio Member

also, if I go with 3 way 6x9 car speakers, they have the tweeters built in, so no need for a cross over or external tweeter right? (saving money)
Old 3rd April 2014, 09:17 PM   #3
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

I'd tend to agree that the durability quotient of higher quality mobile speakers, particularly those ruggedized for marine or outdoor applications could have lots of advantages.

However, most car speakers will tend to be engineered to operate in small enclosed volumes - even a full sized SUV is still not that many cubic feet of effective space - and when playing in open air bass response might suffer compared to say small PA, or specialized "weather resistant" marine drivers

Yes, any multiway car or marine speaker (coaxial or separates) should come with appropriate XO networks - sometimes cheap components are glued directly to the frames - the better quality systems, and certainly all separates will have the components isolated in their own enclosures

Last edited by chrisb; 3rd April 2014 at 09:21 PM.
Old 3rd April 2014, 09:38 PM   #4
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
However, most car speakers will tend to be engineered to operate in small enclosed volumes
Read: the listening environment.

Sometimes the enclosure - read: speaker box, needed for a 6x9 to perform well in, is large like the trunk of a car so the bass in a small enclosure of a boombox might compromise that.
Old 3rd April 2014, 10:39 PM   #5
Jsixis is offline Jsixis  United States
diyAudio Member

They should work well as a quasi open baffle speakers since doors and trunks are never air tight. 92db at 1 watt, those are getting hard to find. Seems speaker manufactures are making more inefficient speakers while the rest of the work is make more efficient everything else. Bass will suffer as like the post above me says, no trunk.
Old 4th April 2014, 03:03 AM   #6
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
Read: the listening environment.

Sometimes the enclosure - read: speaker box, needed for a 6x9 to perform well in, is large like the trunk of a car so the bass in a small enclosure of a boombox might compromise that.
Thanks for the clarification - that was exactly my point
Old 4th April 2014, 03:31 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

"car speakers" are generally intended as ib, and sealed enclosures only hamper their output. i can say that 6x9's would make for a huge, power-hungry boom box. you'll generally find them in something like an 87db range for a decent one, but you will also find they have a higher mass to handle the power, wider gap to account for elemental sag, and contrary to what you may believe, are intended to be shielded from the elements, aside from ambient temperature and moisture extreme fluctuation. this is not to say that you cannot find a nice driver, just that you are just as, or more likely to find a good driver elsewhere. if you look inside a decent sounding boom box, you will see wourk of efficiency everywhere. common to see 1.5watt drivers getting 1-1.25watts rms, or 10 watt drivers in some more powerful boxes. same type of thing you may observe with stock car speakers vs after-market. in their range, the lower power speaker really walks over the higher power speaker (typically), but the higher power speaker can drive way above that, and sound much better. this is all speaking typically, and there are some exceptions, but you would likely shell-out big for them. many higher-end drivers are being built with tight gaps, high count, or advanced design wind, neo-motors, etc, and they can be real efficient. realistically, i would look at the jbl gto, or infinity reference 4", or 4x6" drivers. i can attest they perform well, and real efficient, and be prepared to feed between 10 and 40-60 watts rms to the thing, depending how loud you want. i can tell you i have also had good luck running a delco6.5 on an enclosure about 8x8x2.5 with a weighted, flexible rear baffle. been going a few years up at work, where we have to wear ear plugs.
Old 4th April 2014, 03:52 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

My Nikkai 6 x 9 speakers were quite efficient and only 20 a set. Definitely more efficient than the front speakers (though they were ~4 Ohm).

I disagree that the trunk cover is the best possible box for them. It's not usually the best possible box for anything.

You could probably upgrade using a vented enclosure tuned to 50 or 60Hz and about 0.3 - 0.5 cubic feet (enclosure size is a fairly wild guess, if you're lucky enough to have thiele small parameters, use them). If you can cut bass below about 50Hz, all the better. You might want to tune higher, I think the Boominator uses about 80Hz, but then you may be better off with PA drivers.

Judging solely from a Halfords wall, the Vibe 6 x 9s seem quite efficient and have a nicer sound (probably a superior crossover network, budget speakers often have a substandard crossover) but are more expensive than the Nikkais.
Old 4th April 2014, 09:34 PM   #9
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

although it may not measure well (will mount one on a cardboard baffle soon), a Boss BRS 6x9 sounded good with no baffle running off my modest HT receiver - they can be found for around $12 or less shipped. I'm not sure which amplifiers like that load. They will function fine subjectively I think without any tweeter and an open back or leaky box could be used.

they have a polycone and a plastic whizzer - - what's a good portable amp to drive nominal 4 ohm loads with some gusto?

here's dcr and qts of one
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 4th April 2014, 09:56 PM   #10
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

The very short answer is car speakers make great portable
boom box drivers for reasons not obvious to most hifi types.

No BSC means higher Q car speakers in sealed boxes will do
"boom box" by default and it will essentially generally work.

rgds, sreten.

Hide this!Advertise here!