Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st March 2014, 07:28 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default New Fostex speakers...

Greetings all -

I'm fixing to purchase a Fostex FF225WK, and FF165WK for evaluation. Not once, but twice did I received some very helpful technical advise and insight from Jim Shearer, but more first hand input from those who are as well acquainted with these speakers as Jim would be appreciated. As a diehard ALTEC and JBL user, full range speakers are new to me.

My intent is to use these speakers in a bookshelf cabinet. The 165 may be used without a tweeter, but the 225 will definitely get one for one specific application. I'm also interested in using a pair of the 225 with or without a tweeter for a center channel arrangement.

Ciao,

H.F.

Last edited by Horn Fanatic; 31st March 2014 at 07:36 AM.
Old 1st April 2014, 03:40 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

also in the centre channel I would add a tweeter to the 225WK. It is a very smooth sounding speaker.
The 165 may or may not require a tweeter depending on your preference.
Old 1st April 2014, 05:20 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talaerts View Post
also in the centre channel I would add a tweeter to the 225WK. It is a very smooth sounding speaker.
The 165 may or may not require a tweeter depending on your preference.
Thank you for your advise. It seems to be the general consensus. That's why I came here, to learn from those who know.
Old 1st April 2014, 04:35 PM   #4
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Frankly, I think the 165 would have more than sufficient LF response for a centre channel with proper bass management - and if as is often the case, if enclosure size is a constraint, it can fit in a smaller box.

I did one for a system for my sister last year - along with an older pair of FE167E enclosures for L&R mains, it worked out just fine.
Old 1st April 2014, 10:17 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Frankly, I think the 165 would have more than sufficient LF response for a centre channel with proper bass management - and if as is often the case, if enclosure size is a constraint, it can fit in a smaller box.

I did one for a system for my sister last year - along with an older pair of FE167E enclosures for L&R mains, it worked out just fine.
Thanks Chris. The center channel configuration is not low frequency dependent because I'll be using a pair of 604 8H III for left and right in 6 cubic foot enclosures. It's the vocal range of videos for the center channel that is the focus of my design. I still don't know if I'll be using the 225 or 165 for that purpose.

As for my plans to use both speakers in a bookshelf arrangement, I'm not looking for thunderous bass response, just something pleasant to listen to for background music. I think the Fostex FF series will fit the bill.

Ciao
Old 1st April 2014, 10:55 PM   #6
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

for which purpose I think the 165 is well suited - no XO / tweeter required - although to so ears might require a little gentle EQ.

Hide this!Advertise here!