My Fostex 103's with open Baffle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• ThickBaffle.jpg
    ThickBaffle.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 689
Last edited:
Hi,
Nice speakers..
I try this way, but in my case it don't works.
Using a W5 1611 TB Speaker on open baffle (12 inches widht), I make near field mesurement :

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Phil.

I guess I don't understand why you think it doesn't work good? could you explain more as to why you don't like it? (are you going by what your measurement says? or what your ears say?) When I had mine front mounted there was a non natural sound to them. that's why I went to rear mounting and now they sound uncolored. I would think having your driver that close to the edge they would be canceling out quite early? not to mention the baffle step must be pretty steep having your driver that close to the edge.

Last edited:
Hard to tell definitely from the video but I've heard several small open baffle Fostex drivers which are driven too hard and into distortion. You would be so much better off with a large woofer to cover the lowest bass region and then use a crossover to the full range driver ala Martin J. King ideas from several years ago. Real bass with a relaxed and more accurate overall sound.

Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design

Addition: For cradeldorf: BTW open baffle speakers radiate into 4 pi space so they don't need baffle step correction. Mounting the driver too close to the edge of the baffle will shorten the path length from front to back in an open back design. That raises the short-circuit frequency for the open back speaker which means that the 6 dB per octave roll off is negatively impacted.

Last edited:
Thanks Jim, I actually have a 12" dayton sub going too. You probably can't see it in the video. And I agree with all that you have said. :)
Okay, today I added some 4" carpet strips to the edge of my baffles front and back and removed all crossover parts. This is where they are as of tonight. :)

Here's a video of them in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNRnjX4a9XU&feature=youtu.be

Attachments

• BaffleWithEdgeCarpet2.jpg
    BaffleWithEdgeCarpet2.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 534
Last edited:
Thanks to Jim, At 3:30 am I decided to stuff the Alphas back into the baffles and give them another chance. I ended up with the martin king original HP filter (24uf cap 4mh coil) The trick was to reverse the polarity of them. On the LF side I went with a 1st order with a 1.5mh coil. It's better sounding than it was. I'm also still running the sub for the floor shake, gotta have it for movies. :)

Video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqOuPQLcxWU&feature=youtu.be

Attachments

• OBwithAlpha.jpg
    OBwithAlpha.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 261
  • OBwithAlphaSetup.jpg
    OBwithAlphaSetup.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.