Halair Column - my line array build (20 FR drivers) - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd April 2014, 06:26 AM   #41
Halair is offline Halair  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quick update - before I went to bed last night I got to glue the front baffle to the first side panel
Made sure the side panel was lying true flat, had to weigh down the ends to make it sit right then lined up the front baffle. Used squared supports to make sure the baffle sat right then ran a good bead of glue down the edge before placing the baffle in place.

Checked the glue joint this morning before leaving for work, looks all right and added a bead of construction glue on the inside to properly seal the joint. Not for structural reasons but to get a "smooth" rounded edge Tonite I will try to get the internal braces glued up and perhaps also the other side panel. No pics yet though...sorry
Old 2nd April 2014, 03:14 PM   #42
diyAudio Member

Cool!

I'm glad you are making progress!
Old 3rd April 2014, 06:37 AM   #43
diyAudio Member

I am glad too!

Father-in-law is celebrating his 60th birtday on Saturday and family is flying in so this weekend will be a wash as far as speaker build goes... However I did manage to glue in the internal brackets yesterday and current status is whats shown in the pictures

The glue joints are solid and the structure feel quite solid as-is Very happy with that

1 - Used constructional glue for the brackets and as fillets.
2 - Column standing up
3 - Still far from sealed I will add a 5th bracket plus mounting structure for the base. But now atleast I can prepare the other side panel and hopefully be able to glue it in soon...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lim 01.JPG (106.8 KB, 416 views)
File Type: jpg Lim 02.JPG (108.3 KB, 410 views)
File Type: jpg Lim 03.JPG (103.3 KB, 405 views)

Last edited by Halair; 3rd April 2014 at 06:41 AM.
Old 3rd April 2014, 07:43 AM   #44
diyAudio Member

So, you will mount the drivers on the front of the baffle, right?
Old 3rd April 2014, 07:52 AM   #45
diyAudio Member

Correct, they might be flush mounted when I get to that - provided I can efficiently route the odd-sized flange required But they will just be bolted directly to the baffle to begin with.

BTW - I would appreciate feedback on my impedance calculation:
I want to user 5 groups where each group have 4 in series (4S5P)

Each group of 4 in series = 32ohm (8ohm x 4)
1/R= 1/32 x 5 => 1/R= 5/32
R =32/5 = 6,4 ohm
Correct?

Last edited by Halair; 3rd April 2014 at 08:16 AM.
Old 3rd April 2014, 09:43 AM   #46
diyAudio Member

that's correct
Old 3rd April 2014, 05:19 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

Yep, your calculations are good.

That's why I try to keep it simple in my case. Any combination of 2-2, 3-3, 4-4, 5-5 will result in the same R as a single driver.
Old 3rd April 2014, 05:52 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Thank you both for confirming, I will measure before any amp see them though

Yeah, I wouldn't mind a even number but I wanted as close to full coverage as possible and based on that 20 drivers is what will fit. I could squeeze in 22 but that would throw the impedance about a bit and separate resistors (dummy drivers, than bear! ) would needed to be used.
Old 8th April 2014, 07:28 AM   #49
diyAudio Member

Just a quick update, had to get some more wood work done but also experienced a couple of problems One problem was my own (measurement) but the other was the router (failed lock bolt, loose head) What it all amount to is that this cabinet will be for prototyping only and that the router will be replaced with a different one

The good news is that I now have both side panels for the first cabinett done and it will be glued tonite. I also found cloth for sound isolation in about 6x3' rolls and 1/4" thick (pic). I intend to line the inside of the cabinet with this using spray glue. I intend to use a fair amount of damping inside and I recall 100g/10l (4oz/gallon roughly) - does this seem right or is my guess as good as yours?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg filt.jpg (15.6 KB, 339 views)
Old 8th April 2014, 01:09 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

Too late to edit so a new post it is.. :

As far as damping goes how does this sound like (pun intended):
- Two layers of the felt cloth imaged in previous post on the rear cabinett wall. (a little over 1/2" overall thickness)
- One layer on both sides of the cabinett (a little over 1/4" thickness)
- Loose damping material for the internal volume. I am open to suggestion as to what materials to use however regular insulation for housing is being considered due to price & availability.

I have also become aware of Twaron Angel Hair (Kevlar hair) but find little useful information except sales pitches, however tempted to have a go with it...

Hide this!Advertise here!