Mark Audio CHP-70 gen.2 cabinet suggestions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th March 2014, 08:20 PM   #1
type is offline type  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Mark Audio CHP-70 gen.2 cabinet suggestions

Just getting back into the hobby after a short hiatus. I ended up ordering a pair of CHP-70 gen.2 drivers today. I owned a pair of CHR-70ís before and I could not stand the highs on that driver (too harsh and hissy for me). I know most people love that driver, but it never did it for me, so based on that experience, I am hoping the CHPís slightly rolled off highs will be better for me.

I could have gone with the Alpair 7, but Iím using an average home theater receiver, so I doubt it would work for me.

So, now Iím trying to decide on what cabinets to go with for the CHP. I prefer a small floorstander and have my sights set on the folded TQWT on the Mark Audio site. Any better ideas other than FH3 (too complicated for my skill level)?
Old 19th March 2014, 08:31 PM   #2
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Pensil? Great sounding floorstanding MLTL, works well with the drivers I've heard in them ( A7.2 and 12P). Pretty easy build - just be sure to allow for at least portion of rear to be removable for damping/fill adjustment, and side to side bracing never hurts.

CHP70.2

http://frugal-phile.com/boxlib/pensi...map-211010.pdf

original CHP70

http://frugal-phile.com/boxlib/pensi...map-180710.pdf
Old 19th March 2014, 08:36 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Pensil? Great sounding floorstanding MLTL, works well with the drivers I've heard in them ( A7.2 and 12P). Pretty easy build - just be sure to allow for at least portion of rear to be removable for damping/fill adjustment, and side to side bracing never hurts.

CHP70.2

http://frugal-phile.com/boxlib/pensi...map-211010.pdf

original CHP70

http://frugal-phile.com/boxlib/pensi...map-180710.pdf
Thanks Chris. The only thing I'm not crazy about with the Pensil is the driver placement on the front baffle. It just looks off to me.
Old 19th March 2014, 08:48 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

As an MLTL, the driver is where it is for a reason. The same is true for Kurt's designs - of course the folded version does disguise that, and if the driver height of 750mm by my guess isn't too low, then they should work well enough.

If you wanted something even more compact i.e. a bookshelf or stand mounter, you can always fold a TL into a labyrinth, as with several of Scott's recent designs for several Fostex and MA 3 - 4" drivers.

Last edited by chrisb; 19th March 2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old 19th March 2014, 09:40 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
As an MLTL, the driver is where it is for a reason.
I understand. Just don't like it there
Old 20th March 2014, 12:46 AM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The CHP can be treated like the CHR in the microTower, so you could look at the halfTower or the folded halfTower.

Click the image to open in full size.

dave
Old 20th March 2014, 01:56 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

It's hard to tell from type's posts so far if he's looking for a "full sized" floor stander. I guess I didn't think about the Microtower series as the 3 pairs I've built so far have all been multi driver implementations.

It's a nicely sized package, and due to its tuning, the driver(s) is (are) certainly located in a position that might seem less "awkward". Of course being less than an "absolutist" these days, I put grilles on my own Pensil's, and voila, the drivers' location are moot.
Old 20th March 2014, 03:27 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
The CHP can be treated like the CHR in the microTower, so you could look at the halfTower or the folded halfTower.

Click the image to open in full size.

dave
Thanks Dave, the halftowers are a good option, like the look (forgot about them). Good size for my application too.
Old 20th March 2014, 03:34 AM   #9
mikje is offline mikje  United States
Soakin' up the Sound!
diyAudio Member

If you're not opposed to stands, you might look at Dave's slim GR for the CHP-70. I am amazed at the bass and sound quality they provide. They are my main speakers lately, and I have a few nice speakers from which to choose. I ordered another set of CHP-70s to try in other cabinets, but the slim GRs are a serious player.
Mike
Old 20th March 2014, 03:35 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It's hard to tell from type's posts so far if he's looking for a "full sized" floor stander. I guess I didn't think about the Microtower series as the 3 pairs I've built so far have all been multi driver implementations.

It's a nicely sized package, and due to its tuning, the driver(s) is (are) certainly located in a position that might seem less "awkward". Of course being less than an "absolutist" these days, I put grilles on my own Pensil's, and voila, the drivers' location are moot.
These will be going on either side of my TV. Having done away with a home theater set up in the living room and the fact that I'm not a bass-head (neither are my neighbors), I stopped using my sub a long time ago. I just want the clean simplicity of a 2.0 system for music, but also the occasional movie. Ideally I wouldn't want anything taller than 36 inches.

Hide this!Advertise here!