Mark Audio CHP-70 gen.2 cabinet suggestions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just getting back into the hobby after a short hiatus. I ended up ordering a pair of CHP-70 gen.2 drivers today. I owned a pair of CHR-70’s before and I could not stand the highs on that driver (too harsh and hissy for me). I know most people love that driver, but it never did it for me, so based on that experience, I am hoping the CHP’s slightly rolled off highs will be better for me.

I could have gone with the Alpair 7, but I’m using an average home theater receiver, so I doubt it would work for me.

So, now I’m trying to decide on what cabinets to go with for the CHP. I prefer a small floorstander and have my sights set on the folded TQWT on the Mark Audio site. Any better ideas other than FH3 (too complicated for my skill level)?

Pensil? Great sounding floorstanding MLTL, works well with the drivers I've heard in them ( A7.2 and 12P). Pretty easy build - just be sure to allow for at least portion of rear to be removable for damping/fill adjustment, and side to side bracing never hurts.

CHP70.2

http://frugal-phile.com/boxlib/pensils/Pensil10-2-map-211010.pdf

original CHP70

http://frugal-phile.com/boxlib/pensils/PensilP70-map-180710.pdf

Thanks Chris. The only thing I'm not crazy about with the Pensil is the driver placement on the front baffle. It just looks off to me.

As an MLTL, the driver is where it is for a reason. The same is true for Kurt's designs - of course the folded version does disguise that, and if the driver height of 750mm by my guess isn't too low, then they should work well enough.

If you wanted something even more compact i.e. a bookshelf or stand mounter, you can always fold a TL into a labyrinth, as with several of Scott's recent designs for several Fostex and MA 3 - 4" drivers.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The CHP can be treated like the CHR in the microTower, so you could look at the halfTower or the folded halfTower.

DSC02160.jpg

dave

It's hard to tell from type's posts so far if he's looking for a "full sized" floor stander. I guess I didn't think about the Microtower series as the 3 pairs I've built so far have all been multi driver implementations.

It's a nicely sized package, and due to its tuning, the driver(s) is (are) certainly located in a position that might seem less "awkward". Of course being less than an "absolutist" these days, I put grilles on my own Pensil's, and voila, the drivers' location are moot.

If you're not opposed to stands, you might look at Dave's slim GR for the CHP-70. I am amazed at the bass and sound quality they provide. They are my main speakers lately, and I have a few nice speakers from which to choose. I ordered another set of CHP-70s to try in other cabinets, but the slim GRs are a serious player.
Mike

It's hard to tell from type's posts so far if he's looking for a "full sized" floor stander. I guess I didn't think about the Microtower series as the 3 pairs I've built so far have all been multi driver implementations.

It's a nicely sized package, and due to its tuning, the driver(s) is (are) certainly located in a position that might seem less "awkward". Of course being less than an "absolutist" these days, I put grilles on my own Pensil's, and voila, the drivers' location are moot.

These will be going on either side of my TV. Having done away with a home theater set up in the living room and the fact that I'm not a bass-head (neither are my neighbors), I stopped using my sub a long time ago. I just want the clean simplicity of a 2.0 system for music, but also the occasional movie. Ideally I wouldn't want anything taller than 36 inches.

If you're not opposed to stands, you might look at Dave's slim GR for the CHP-70. I am amazed at the bass and sound quality they provide. They are my main speakers lately, and I have a few nice speakers from which to choose. I ordered another set of CHP-70s to try in other cabinets, but the slim GRs are a serious player.
Mike

Thanks Mike. For now I'm probably going to stick to a floor stander since I like the look and it basically takes up the same amount of space anyway.

Do you currently have the gen. 2 version?

Thanks Mike. For now I'm probably going to stick to a floor stander since I like the look and it basically takes up the same amount of space anyway.

Do you currently have the gen. 2 version?

I do have the Gen. 2. It is a phenomenal speaker IMO. If I could only keep one set of speakers, these very well might be the keepers. Some of my others: Dynaco A25, JBL L40, ADS L690, Jeff Bagby Continuums, and several other DIY speakers that sound quite good.
One characteristic of the CHP-70 is it's ability to really open up after several hundred hours of use. Break it in per the MarkAudio instructions. Afterwards it will continually get better in sound quality for quite some time if it's treated well. Whatever build you choose of the ones listed in this thread, I'd be willing to bet you'll be very satisfied.
Mike

Well, take a look at page 6 of the plan set to which Dave posted URL earlier. The monopole Microtower nets at roughly 33" high, with driver centered at 28.675".

There's probably no reason the port couldn't be converted to slot / and or front mounted ( I did that on my most recent bipole build with CHBW70 & ERT26 tweeters). If sitting on a thick carpet, it wouldn't hurt to add a bottom plate, or extend the "feet" to provide at least the 1" clearance to carpet.

I received my pair of CHP-70A's on Friday. Since I need immediate gratification, I popped them into some small sealed boxes I still had laying around and my initial impression is a good one. Right now I'm playing them very low, but I'm happy to say that I don't hear anything shrilly and there is no hissy sound at all; so far, they sound very smooth and balanced.

If anyone's interested, they still sound good even after you put a big crease in one of the cones. I'm usually so careful handling my drivers, but yesterday I moved one of the cabinets when I was checking a connection and did not realize the cone was pushing right up against the component connection of my new Roku 2 which I had temporarily hooked up to the side ports on the TV. When i pulled it away I found a nice crease in the paper.

I decided on the Pensil design after all. Will chime in after they're done. Just picked up some wood.

BTW, I was at Best Buy today and took a listen to the Def Tech SM45 and the B&W 686 and bass not withstanding, I have to say that the chp is on par with those speakers and that's in the tiny sealed boxes I have them in now.

I decided on the Pensil design after all. Will chime in after they're done. Just picked up some wood.

BTW, I was at Best Buy today and took a listen to the Def Tech SM45 and the B&W 686 and bass not withstanding, I have to say that the chp is on par with those speakers and that's in the tiny sealed boxes I have them in now.

The Amplifier has 'at Least' as much effect on the sound, as does the wooden boxes those speakers are screwed into. Seriously.
Experiment in that direction as well :)

The Amplifier has 'at Least' as much effect on the sound, as does the wooden boxes those speakers are screwed into. Seriously.
Experiment in that direction as well :)

My old Pioneer vsx811 actually sounds good to my ears :eek:. I've had it for about 7 years without any issues and it's still going strong. I also just picked up a Topping TP-22 which is a really nice little amp (IMO) sweet clean sound, looks great and and it has 2 inputs which is a nice plus.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.