Mark Audio CHP-70 gen.2 cabinet suggestions - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th March 2014, 03:44 AM   #11
type is offline type  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikje View Post
If you're not opposed to stands, you might look at Dave's slim GR for the CHP-70. I am amazed at the bass and sound quality they provide. They are my main speakers lately, and I have a few nice speakers from which to choose. I ordered another set of CHP-70s to try in other cabinets, but the slim GRs are a serious player.
Mike
Thanks Mike. For now I'm probably going to stick to a floor stander since I like the look and it basically takes up the same amount of space anyway.

Do you currently have the gen. 2 version?
Old 20th March 2014, 04:02 AM   #12
mikje is offline mikje  United States
Soakin' up the Sound!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by type View Post
Thanks Mike. For now I'm probably going to stick to a floor stander since I like the look and it basically takes up the same amount of space anyway.

Do you currently have the gen. 2 version?
I do have the Gen. 2. It is a phenomenal speaker IMO. If I could only keep one set of speakers, these very well might be the keepers. Some of my others: Dynaco A25, JBL L40, ADS L690, Jeff Bagby Continuums, and several other DIY speakers that sound quite good.
One characteristic of the CHP-70 is it's ability to really open up after several hundred hours of use. Break it in per the MarkAudio instructions. Afterwards it will continually get better in sound quality for quite some time if it's treated well. Whatever build you choose of the ones listed in this thread, I'd be willing to bet you'll be very satisfied.
Mike
Old 20th March 2014, 09:15 PM   #13
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Well, take a look at page 6 of the plan set to which Dave posted URL earlier. The monopole Microtower nets at roughly 33" high, with driver centered at 28.675".

There's probably no reason the port couldn't be converted to slot / and or front mounted ( I did that on my most recent bipole build with CHBW70 & ERT26 tweeters). If sitting on a thick carpet, it wouldn't hurt to add a bottom plate, or extend the "feet" to provide at least the 1" clearance to carpet.
Old 25th March 2014, 02:10 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I received my pair of CHP-70A's on Friday. Since I need immediate gratification, I popped them into some small sealed boxes I still had laying around and my initial impression is a good one. Right now I'm playing them very low, but I'm happy to say that I don't hear anything shrilly and there is no hissy sound at all; so far, they sound very smooth and balanced.
Old 25th March 2014, 03:56 PM   #15
irribeo is offline irribeo  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

If they are like the chp70 gen1/css el70 they will be very revealing despite the rolloff both (or all3) have. Tiny changes in chain befor them are very noticable, more than with any other speaker I have (or had).
Old 28th March 2014, 03:05 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

If anyone's interested, they still sound good even after you put a big crease in one of the cones. I'm usually so careful handling my drivers, but yesterday I moved one of the cabinets when I was checking a connection and did not realize the cone was pushing right up against the component connection of my new Roku 2 which I had temporarily hooked up to the side ports on the TV. When i pulled it away I found a nice crease in the paper.
Old 7th April 2014, 08:50 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

I decided on the Pensil design after all. Will chime in after they're done. Just picked up some wood.

BTW, I was at Best Buy today and took a listen to the Def Tech SM45 and the B&W 686 and bass not withstanding, I have to say that the chp is on par with those speakers and that's in the tiny sealed boxes I have them in now.
Old 7th April 2014, 11:05 PM   #18
mikje is offline mikje  United States
Soakin' up the Sound!
diyAudio Member

I'm looking forward to your opinion of them in the Pensil. I'm finishing up a pair of FH-3s, so I'll need another build soon.
Mike
Old 8th April 2014, 02:47 AM   #19
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by type View Post
I decided on the Pensil design after all. Will chime in after they're done. Just picked up some wood.

BTW, I was at Best Buy today and took a listen to the Def Tech SM45 and the B&W 686 and bass not withstanding, I have to say that the chp is on par with those speakers and that's in the tiny sealed boxes I have them in now.
The Amplifier has 'at Least' as much effect on the sound, as does the wooden boxes those speakers are screwed into. Seriously.
Experiment in that direction as well :-)
Old 8th April 2014, 09:31 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
The Amplifier has 'at Least' as much effect on the sound, as does the wooden boxes those speakers are screwed into. Seriously.
Experiment in that direction as well :-)
My old Pioneer vsx811 actually sounds good to my ears . I've had it for about 7 years without any issues and it's still going strong. I also just picked up a Topping TP-22 which is a really nice little amp (IMO) sweet clean sound, looks great and and it has 2 inputs which is a nice plus.

Hide this!Advertise here!