Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th March 2014, 04:01 AM   #1
Osulagh is offline Osulagh  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Help with Small Full Range Nearfield speakers?

The Short:
Small. Like Audioengine A2 size. Semi-portable. (Around 6" x 4" x 5")
Simple build and design.
No subwoofer unless I have to.
Close to full-range as I can get, but low bass doesn't need to pound, just needs to be present.
Low volume, personal listening, in small room from 2-3 feet away.

Thank you for your time and thoughts.

The Long:

I've been slamming my head against the desk trying to figure out what I should get. 50+ of research, searching, and going on wild goose chases to meet dead ends.
I'd like to build a nearfield, small, and relatively simple set of stereo speakers. I'll be using them as computer speakers for music and sometimes videos (all attentive listening is done with headphones).
I'm a thrift-store scavenger, and I've been listening to rather large (not full-sized, but not bookshelf) speakers for a while (Beovox S75) along with a Marantz Model 2220B, but it's becoming a hassle to have all this equipment on my desk, and in the near future I'd like to move overseas and take a good stereo set with me (along with a laptop and some clothes), so I want these to be rather small.

I was thinking of Audioengine A2's. They're the perfect size and their setup is perfect as well (I use a Audioengine D1 as a headphone amp/DAC). But I reflect hype and placebo like a mirror to light, and I doubt they'll sound any better than what I can make for some pocket change.

So, DIY here I go!

After chasing Fostex 3-4" drivers around, I've found very few do well in small enclosures (I LOVE Fostex, so I'm a biased btw).
The driver I'm currently looking at is the Markaudio Alpair-6MA. I've heard that they do well in small enclosures and don't need no subwoofer in their life. *snap* *snap*. But can they be thrown in a very small enclosure and perform well enough? Any recommend enclosures?
Any other drivers and enclosures you guys recommend?

I'm not adamant about a completely flat spectrum, or as close to full fidelity as I can get. I'm fine with some kinks in the spectrum.
They will be paired with a small Class D amp, or have one built into one of the boxes so it can appear like a studio monitor.
I have limited tools at my disposal, no power tools to speak of (though I might be able to borrow, and I have built houses so I know how to use anything under the sun).

Thank you for your time and thoughts.
Old 7th March 2014, 04:31 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I was going to recommend uFonken (FF85wk) or uMar-Ken6 (A6.2 paper or metal).The 1st is 2 litres, the 2nd 2.5 litre net. The A6.m willfit a smallerbox, but the vent gets so large that the box ends up close to the samegross size.

3" driver audition Fostex/Mark Audio

Fostex FF85wk and Mark Audio Alpair 6p tested against each other

dave
Old 7th March 2014, 04:50 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I know it's bad form to reply before several people have gotten their word in... but...

Thanks Dave! You were the one who influenced me into thinking about the A6.2's in the first place.

Just a second thought: Could I do OB with small (<6") drivers? OB opens *snicker* up the possibility for more portability and easier construction; I could just pack up the drivers and plant them in another plate somewhere else.
Old 7th March 2014, 05:21 AM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Except that to get bass the baffle has to be BIG (unless you have a big high Q helper woofer, and even then, relative to what you are looking for, big)

I am workingon a potable sysytem for going on the road, and i was going to use uMarKen6 with A6.2p, and a nice ClassD amp with an any AC voltage switching power supply.

dave
Old 7th March 2014, 05:29 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hmm... I'm just about convinced... though I don't think you'll think less of me if I wait until other opinions have surfaced.

Ok, I understand. Need big speakers for OB. Thanks.

About your portable: Are the cabinets going to be around 2 liters each? Or, I guess you're going smaller.

I wouldn't mind seeing what I can get out of packing the A6.2s in the smallest cube box I can. Porting would really be a hassle though, huh?

Sorry about the list of questions, but: Paper, or metal? I don't think I've seen any comparisons? I've heard that metal isn't a favorite, but then you've said that the metal A6.2 convinced you otherwise (if I recall correctly). Is there a different, if you've compared them?
Old 7th March 2014, 05:54 AM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osulagh View Post
About your portable: Are the cabinets going to be around 2 liters each?
I'm going to do uMar-Ken6 which are the smallest box i can do for the A6.2p (15x25x12cm wxhxd) and as small a pelican case as will fit them, the amp and (optional) Airport Express.

Quote:
I wouldn't mind seeing what I can get out of packing the A6.2s in the smallest cube box I can. Porting would really be a hassle though, huh?
You won't get much bass out of a sealed box. Smallest vented box i was happy with (sims, no one has yet built AFAIK), attached

Quote:
Paper, or metal?
6 of one half a dozen of the other. The 1st link i gave has our evaluations. I prefer the paper. More bass and and extra 3dB sensitivity.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif A62P-sealed-sim.gif (41.3 KB, 348 views)
File Type: gif alpair6m-sealed-sims.gif (17.4 KB, 342 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf nReflex.pdf (52.5 KB, 13 views)
Old 7th March 2014, 06:18 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Oh, sorry. I must sound like a dummy right about now.

Wow! Thank you so much; those are shaping up to be just the ticket with that design!

Another... question (sorry!): Would it be of any interest to go for the Alpair-7A's?
Looking at your designs here: http://frugal-phile.com/boxlib/P10fr...n73-301113.pdf
The cabinets are much larger (larger than normal bookshelfs), but would the bass response prove worthwhile?
Old 7th March 2014, 06:48 AM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Those are 9 litre net. Yes they will get you more bass. And the A7 is a step up from the A6.

dave
Old 7th March 2014, 06:52 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

So they would really need a larger cabinet...

I think I'll try out the A6.2 and see how they fare.

Thank you so much for your time and effort dealing with me! Sorry if I've been a bother! You were a great help.
Old 7th March 2014, 08:56 AM   #10
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

If you can go up in size a bit the 0.4x scale Karlaonator sounds really good nearfield.
Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's

Click the image to open in full size.

Listen for yourself as sound clips are posted in thread.

Last edited by xrk971; 7th March 2014 at 08:59 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!