Speaker distortion indentifying and explaining needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My friend has a pair of cheapo full range speakers rated 600W 8 ohm. They vere fine for a while, but recently they're misbehaving. When you use them for some 30 minutes there is some kind of distortion appearing that werent there before at medium power levels. Amp is not clipping and is rated ~450W@8ohm. What could be the problem?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I have never heard of a fullrange driver rated at 600 watts! Sounds like a PA driver with a whizzer cone. Can you give more details? Size, model number and manufacturer? How much power are you driving them with?

Since it happens after a certain time it sounds like thermal issue with the voicecoil getting too warm.

A photo or two would be helpful.

The fact this speaker is supposed to be 600 watt makes me highly suspect of the amplifiers 450 watt capability too! I think we need model numbers of both amplifier and loudspeakers. And if that's not possible, pictures at least.

I would be somewhat surprised if it's a thermal issue (not discounting it), but usually when a driver starts to make ugly sounds due to over heating, it is a permenant change that remains even after the driver has cooled down. IE you broke it. Maybe it is broken.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.