Why my open baffle bass speaker sound like active subwoofer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi
Just finish my open baffle speaker:
One amp control the full range speaker, and another amp control the bass speaker with active crossover for bass.
I Location the speaker in the corner and then the sound become like woofer (not good)
How I can Decrease this affect?
thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20140303_114905.jpg
    IMG_20140303_114905.jpg
    373 KB · Views: 573
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
i try it.
after hear the open baffle, i cant go back :)

Usually OB can't get enough bass and corner will enhance bass substantially. If you are active bi amping you can just increase the level to full range. To balance out. Do you have a microphone to measure freq response? Balance it out after measurement with REW and EQ via DSP.

xrk971: with full range my bass sound bad, i try to change to 250hz. i dont have dsp, by i have mic, can do simple try&test until get nice flat sound?

Kjeldsen: i think the bass in the corner are like Resonance box, in my speaker it sound like bad subwoffer.
but the high very clear :)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
xrk971: You are wrong bass will decrease in the corner - It's open baffle not a normal subwoofer

Dipole speakers are supposed to have less of an effect of exciting room modes by being placed in a corner (when compared to monopole speakers). This has been my observation and also matches simulation of with corner and no corner.

Here is a good explanation of how dipole speakers behave in rooms with corners: Room Acoustics

Here is a slot-loaded OB speaker simulation with the effect of a (mild) corner:

403302d1393849961-way-my-open-baffle-bass-speaker-sound-like-active-subwoofer-slot-ob-freq-corner.png

Without a corner:

403303d1393849961-way-my-open-baffle-bass-speaker-sound-like-active-subwoofer-slot-ob-freq-no-corner.png

Attachments

• Slot-OB-Freq-Corner.png
    Slot-OB-Freq-Corner.png
    29.7 KB · Views: 678
  • Slot-OB-Freq-No-Corner.png
    Slot-OB-Freq-No-Corner.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 661
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.