Audience A3 DIY design link request

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Maybe it's because of my age or just inadequate internet skills but I'm having trouble finding any good DIY designs actually using the Audience A3 drivers.

I've found tons of talk and such but no actual threads walking through a full design and implementation from beginning to end. I've wanted to try a build using these awesome drivers but I'd like to see it in action first.

I've built my own speakers for many years and have really liked the idea of a line array. Was thinking about 8 per side in any number of combinations. Maybe 4 front mounted a 4 side mounted?

Thanks for any links, help, or suggestions.

Shawn

+1. :)

Unfortunately you're not likely to find very many DIY designs using multiple units because the A3 cost so much (for a small driver), making it prohibitively expensive for many people to use in that way.

4 drivers do not a line array make. Not an especially good one anyway. Depends what you call an array of course, but if you are limited to 8 drivers per channel, I for one would want all of them on the front baffle so you have a more useable array type & a moderately wide vertical listening window. It's not impossible to use fewer (far from it), but arrays are highly directional, vertically, so in the Fresnel zone (nearfield) as soon as you get above or below the ends, the top end will vanish. Hence why I would put them all on the front. You will probably need some Eq as well, passive or active; the A3 has a rising response which will go some way to helping counter the reduced relative HF level inherent to the array configuration (that's not technically entirely 'correct' but is the practical upshot). Active is the more flexible option of course, plus you'd be able to give a little gentle Eq on the bottom end (8 drivers isn't really sufficient to go too far), but passive can be done if you don't mind sacrificing some of the sensitivity gains from the use of multiple drivers.

Since with 8 units packed into a tightly spaced line the array is still going to be quite short, you may find some power-tapering beneficial, although that's arguably easier with an odd number of drivers (e.g. if you can stretch to 9 per side).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.