Infinity RS6000 measurements

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a NEC AVR-1000 and a pair of RS6000 for fronts and RS1000 for rear. When I turn the rec up, but not past halfway. the system cuts out then auto resets.
I measured the resistance on the 1000's at the input, its about 4 ohms. The RS6000's read in the K/Meg ohms range at the inputs. The individual speakers in the RS6000 read about 3-4 ohms each.
Sounds like to me the crossovers in the RS6000 are bad. I can repair them if I can get the parts. Providing I can get the measurements first. What do you people think? HELP

I have a NEC AVR-1000 and a pair of RS6000 for fronts and RS1000 for rear. When I turn the rec up, but not past halfway. the system cuts out then auto resets.

My old receiver would output full power with CD sources at about 10 o'clock on the volume knob. It was labeled from 0-40, and full power was reached at 14, so for a similar knob labeled 0-10, that would be full power at 3.5 (about 3.8 for those that have knobs that go to 11 ;) ) So to me it sounds like you are just expecting too much...

Your RS6000's may have a large series capacitor on the bass speaker, which would give a high reading like you see. Your first step will be to diagram the crossover, what is connected to what, etc...

I love it when I am right ;) Series caps on all drivers....so it will measure very high impedance with a multimeter.

Now you just need to verify the diagram and figure out values if you want to "upgrade".

Attachments

• RS_6000_technical_sheet.pdf
    47 KB · Views: 54
I think I figured out my problem. RS6000 nominal impedance is 6 ohms. The NEC AVR-1000 is rated for 4 ohm speakers. Right now I have a pair of RS1000 hooked up and no problems they are 6 ohms as well. I know the AVR-1000 will drive them but at what cost. Also, do you think I really should rebuild the crossovers I did have to re foam the woofers when I got them. BTW I paid $35 for the whole setup RS1000&6000 as well as the receiver, so I would like to keep them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.