Short Line Array (line source) build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi,

I'd suggest not to boost too much in EQ. Leave the nulls alone and suppress the peaks only. Or use boost as little as possible.

Try it and compare. :)

+1 on the EQ tips (cuts peaks, do not fill valleys). Also, if you can avoid it, don't EQ in the 500 Hz to 6 kHz range as the EQ'ing there messes with the phase-sensitive range where fullrange drivers derive their magic for superior imaging and spatialization. If you need to EQ there, do it with a wide (low Q) negative gain shelf. Most likely a baffle step of -5 to -6dB may be needed from 1 kHz on up. You will need bass boost below 200 Hz and probably treble boost above 12kHz.

Thanks X!

Yep, these little towers handle transients like nothing I've had before!

I didn't play with EQ this week, other things to do, but I will heed you guys advice regarding calming the peaks instead of boosting the lows.

I usually like to do a small notch filter somewhere between 800Hz and 1.5KHz, it clears up vocals a lot and makes everything less "nasal".

I loved my arrays, but I decided to give them to my father-in-law. He moved to a new place with a huge living room, and his little system couldn't cut it. You should've seen the smile on his face when I showed up with the arrays and played some music in his living room.... priceless!

The TABAQ was mostly for fun (DIYing is so much fun!) but it turned up so well that I will pursue that later. I have a pair of TB W4-1879 in mind....

Right now, I am living with a pair of W8-1772. They don't have the soundstage and the transients handling that the arrays had, but the imaging and detail coming of those Tang Band are something that bring a smile to my face!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.