Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Short Line Array (line source) build
Short Line Array (line source) build
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd February 2014, 12:58 PM   #11
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

FAST? It's a popular and extremely irritating term (to mugs like me) for 'Fullrange And Subwoofer Technology.' Quite why subwoofers have suddenly become 'technology' while everything else presumably isn't seems mysterious. There is an alternate translation: 'Fullrange ASisTed' which is as lame an acronym as you're likely to find south of 'PRAT' (give me strength...). As an alternative, you could call them what they always used to be called: a 2-way loudspeaker. Rant over.

As for the array, the 3in version would likely be preferable if the subs can manage 200Hz with some grace, but they'll still need Eq to counter the declining HF trend inherent to the configuration.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 23rd February 2014 at 01:07 PM.
Old 26th February 2014, 07:26 AM   #12
perceval is online now perceval  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

FAST, got it. Indeed , not the best acronym but in this age of Facebook and the likes, we are likely to see more and more!

Hmm.. I just realized the 4" version is 4 Ohms, which may be hard on my receiver at the moment. The 3" is 8 Ohms, so it may be more appropriate.

My subs do not go much over 140Hz, and when I hear subs that do, I feel I can pinpoint them, which is not something I like in a sub because they are not perfectly located next to the main speakers.

Since this is my first foray into line source, I might just do it with the 3" drivers, and see how it goes. There's nothing like hands on experience! Of course, your input is always welcome!
Old 27th February 2014, 07:10 AM   #13
Colin is offline Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

It depends how many drivers you use. An array of four 4ohm drivers in series/parallel will give you a 4 ohm array. Add another in series and you have an eight driver array at 8 ohms :-)
Old 27th February 2014, 07:43 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Well, I ordered those 3" just before your post, Colin.

Got 16 of them heading their way.

I was wondering, if I wire them as 4-2-2, that'd be ok? that would give me a change from 8 Ohms to 6.4 Ohms... if I got the calculation right!

I would wire the outer 2 drivers up-and-down as the 4, then more power to the center ones as 2-2. In between will be a tweeter... later. I want to test different configurations.
Old 27th February 2014, 08:50 PM   #15
chrisb is online now chrisb
diyAudio Member

Scott - in the interest of mitigating your blood pressure, I'll henceforth only use the term Low XO 2-way - can we coin an acceptable acronym for that?
Old 28th February 2014, 10:36 AM   #16
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

2-way? LXO?
Old 28th February 2014, 11:51 AM   #17
geraldfryjr is offline geraldfryjr  United States
diyAudio Member

Here is a project that is underway that might spark your interest as well,

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi...ml#post3789049

It uses 12 HiVi B3N 3" drivers and 12 tweeters of some buy out types per cabinet,

HiVi B3N 3" Aluminum Driver Round Frame | 297-428

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi...ml#post3794305

It will be wired for 6 ohms with a 6.5Khz 12db passive crossover.
The plan is a ported 2 cubic foot enclosure tuned to about 41Hz.

With only 8 drivers it is best to keep the voltage across all of them equal so you are only limited to 4 ohms or 16 ohms.

If you had planned for 9 drivers then you could have 8 ohms per cabinet.

It is too bad that I didn't catch this thread before you ordered them.
The drivers themselves look good though.

I would definitely try them open backed (dipole) First and add separate woofer as suggested.
Although you may/will have to add some EQing to make them flat on the low end.
Your data sheet doesn't state the Xmax that the driver is capable of.

FWIW

jer

Last edited by geraldfryjr; 28th February 2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 28th February 2014, 01:57 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

sweet!

Yep, that's the plan.

Want to try a bunch of configurations. The supplier is local, so if I need a few extra drivers, it will be easy. Didn't think about the 9 drivers being 8 Ohms.

anyway... drivers are coming in tomorrow!
Old 28th February 2014, 06:56 PM   #19
Greebster is offline Greebster  United States
diyAudio Member

I would not run them dipole/OB. If placed near a wall like you want causes issue with dispersion and messes up the frequency response. Even when properly designed can and does make a mess of things near any wall.
Old 1st March 2014, 01:47 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If you had planned for 9 drivers then you could have 8 ohms per cabinet.
Ok, I remember why I went with 8 drivers.

My plan was to use 2 sets of four drivers, with a crossover between them. First set of four (wired 2-2) would handle up to 500Hz, and the other set of four drivers would take over from 500Hz to 3,000Hz and let the tweeter handle anything higher.

Am I correct in assuming that I would be at 8 Ohms?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wiring-1.jpg (64.3 KB, 532 views)

Short Line Array (line source) buildHide this!Advertise here!