Open baffle Nautilus: the Fibonacci solution to edge diffraction

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
robyone,
Nicely design! But then I have bias towards speakers shaped like a Nautaloss. :)
I think what you have is a speaker baffle where no single distance from the driver centerline to the edge is equal, so the diffraction effects smooth out. You might consider adding some hidden wings in the back around the woofer to deepen the bass extension. Do you have any measurements of freq response with rectangle vs nautilus shape? This is so simple I can try myself with a Vifa TC9FD and some cardboard. One thing to note is that the bass extension of the fullrange will be predominantly determined by the shortest distance from driver centerline to edge, thus I think the XO will be rather high - up in 500 hz range.
Cool. :cool:

400131d1392548152-open-baffle-nautilus-fibonacci-solution-edge-diffraction-20140215_104742.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks

Unfortunately I can't provide any measure, don't have a quality microphone to do that

I can tell you that I tested various shapes, included rectangular, and each shape add its own signature to the sound, probably due to different dipole peak I guess, and the spiral proved to be most neutral and natural sounding of the set

Crossing at 500Hz would require a high pass filter for the fostex, but I love the purity of the little fostex directly connected, and believe me, this little gem delivers good weight down below 200Hz, so I opted for 1.5 ways configuration, I mean fullrange direct and woofer with a second order low pass filter

Initially I tried to cross the woofer around 300Hz, but it showed bad conflict with the fostex in the lower mids, so I had to progressively lower the XO till 150Hz; now the nautilus sound right balanced from top to bottom

Don't really need wings because I get enought bass reinforcement from the corners where they are positioned

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.