12 3" fullrange drivers...what to do?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Would be a lot simpler...

beovox2500.jpg

Just scale it it to suit the drivers and ambitions.

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
btw I was in container store and have seen round box with bottom and removable lid, probably made to safely store some fancy hat or so...so the round box was nice and big enough to mount six drivers around, with some reinforcement would do...the box was $24.99, so I would have to spend $50 just for this stupid experiment

I like Squeaks picture, that should be easy build from plywood...which I already have

Anyway, I have not made any decision yet, but the weekend is comming. I feel some should be done with those 12 fullrange drivers.

Last edited:
Well, with cube you'll get a bit more HF sound send into and reflecting off the floor and ceiling, which maybe is not a good thing.
Reflections are best to have mostly on the horizontal plane, not from above and below (that's why like other omnis or semi omnis, the 901 is setup as it is).
On the other hand too small a horizontal sweetspot is not good either.

The 90 degrees angle of the cubes faces will make interference/combing/HF cancelation between the immediate radiation of the drivers much less of an issue though.
Something which might be more of an issue with 126 degree angle or less between the drivers.

My advise would be to make a very quick test with two are four drivers naked or in cardboard baffles at different angles to each other and to the floor and ceiling, to the compare the HF output.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Elias,
I would like to try your single speaker stereophonic technique but I use class D amps and you cannot tie the output of one channel to the other - I am told it will blow the amp up :) Probably just cause its self protect circuitry to kick in. So are we really limited to doing this with class A or class A/B amps only? I suppose one could do the mixing at line level and use two separate amps (leave on channel unused on second amp) and power 3 drivers with 3 channels from 2 amps.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Would be a lot simpler...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Just scale it it to suit the drivers and ambitions.

This allows 3-series/2-parallel wiring to get a 4 ohm driver to a nominal 6 ohm load which is compatible with either a 4 ohm or 8 ohm amp. I like the shape and might give this a try one day. This is when you wish you ordered 50 of those $1 drivers to have on hand to play... Oh, wait, Adason did do that :)

You could do this:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/200040-stereophonic-sound-single-loudspeaker.html

Since you have 12 elements, put 4 on each side. Wire them 4 in parallel-series cluster.

Wouldn't that give you just what you found out didn't work, IE a big beamy driver for each 2x2?

Elias,
I would like to try your single speaker stereophonic technique but I use class D amps and you cannot tie the output of one channel to the other - I am told it will blow the amp up :) Probably just cause its self protect circuitry to kick in. So are we really limited to doing this with class A or class A/B amps only? I suppose one could do the mixing at line level and use two separate amps (leave on channel unused on second amp) and power 3 drivers with 3 channels from 2 amps.

It don't think you need to take Elias's ideas so literally. All you need to do is have some side firing drivers, that only have indirect sound and one or more drivers that are front firing with treble slightly attenuated.
You would get that almost for free with with a hexagon shape, and you wouldn't have to combine the channels in that case.
Or, still without combining the channels electrically you could have two drivers one above the other (L&R like in your Karlson) with a slot lens or a slant plate lens in front, to spread and thereby attenuate the highs.

Last edited:
Elias,

Class D amplifier... :crazy: What a cruel invention :D

You are left with the possibility of matrixing at the line level circuit and using 3 amplifiers, one for each speaker element.

Wouldn't that give you just what you found out didn't work, IE a big beamy driver for each 2x2?

There are many possibilities of implementation.

- 4*1 mini line array on each side ? No horisontal beaming.

- Pseudorandomly placed cluster of 4 elements on each side ? No any beaming.

- Forward tilted side panels ? Even lets you go with 2*2 array if aimed to correct angle.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.